Bet on Sports at 1vice.ag Bet on Sports-Join MyBookie.ag today!

Happy 100th Anniversary, 'Take Me Out to the Ball Game'

By DAVID THOMASdthomas@star-telegram.com

Take Me Out to the Ball Game turned 100 years old this season, and to celebrate, we offer these 100 things worth knowing about the song, its writers and all things associated with the song:

1 Take Me Out to the Ball Game is considered the third-most frequently heard song in America, behind the national anthem and Happy Birthday.

2 The song has been referred to as the United States’ "other national anthem."

3 In addition to its well-known refrain, Take Me Out to the Ball Game has two verses that tell the story of Katie Casey’s efforts to get her beau to take her to a baseball game instead of a show.

4 The song was written in the spring of 1908 and although it didn’t hit the charts until Oct. 31, the song spent seven weeks at No. 1 — the most of any song that year.

5 The song benefited from the exciting end to baseball’s 1908 season. The Chicago Cubs advanced to the World Series thanks in part to the infamous "Merkel’s Boner" base-running blunder by the New York Giants’ Fred Merkel. The Cubs then defeated the Detroit Tigers in the World Series. They have not won the championship since.

6 The song first became popular in movie theaters as an "illustrated song play" — a slideshow to fill time while projectionists changed reels.

7 The earliest recorded instance of Take Me Out to the Ball Game being played at a game is 1934, before the first game of the Los Angeles high school baseball season.

8 Later in 1934, the St. Louis Cardinals’ band, led by third baseman Pepper Martin, played the song before the fourth game of the World Series.

9 The first known games in which the song was played during the seventh-inning stretch were in 1945 in the Pacific Coast League.

10 Jack Norworth wrote the words and Albert Von Tilzer composed the music.

11 Norworth and Von Tilzer, who had teamed on numerous popular songs, were part of the famed Tin Pin Alley collection of songwriters and composers.

12 Norworth and Von Tilzer claimed to have never attended a baseball game before writing the song. In the book, Baseball’s Greatest Hit: The Story of Take Me Out to the Ball Game, authors Andy Strasberg, Bob Thompson and Tim Wiles say it is likely that Norworth did attend a game in 1908 and, possibly, earlier.

13 Norworth, also a singer and vaudeville performer, claimed to have written the lyrics while riding a Manhattan subway. He said a sign advertising a game at the Polo Grounds inspired the words.

14 According to legend, Norworth wrote the words in about half an hour.

15 After 1908, Norworth and Von Tilzer did not collaborate on another song.

16 They both appeared at a 1944 benefit concert in Los Angeles, but did not perform together. Von Tilzer played Take Me Out to the Ball Game, and Norworth performed Shine On, Harvest Moon.

17 Norworth wrote Shine On, Harvest Moon with wife Nora Bayes, also in 1908.

18 Von Tilzer, writer of more than 20 songs that sold more than 1 million copies each, wrote the music for Put Your Arms Around Me, Honey and I’ll Be With You in Apple Blossom Time.

19 Norworth also wrote a song about umpires — Let’s Get the Umpire’s Goat — in 1909.

20 Von Tilzer tried to follow up on the song’s success by co-publishing Back to the Bleachers for Mine in 1910.

21 Eight baseball songs were published in 1908. After the success of Take Me Out to the Ball Game, 22 baseball songs were published in 1909.

22 Shortly after Take Me Out to the Ball Game was released, George M. Cohan released a song called Take Your Girl to the Ball Game. Norworth said Cohan told him, "I didn’t write mine soon enough." Answered Norworth: "Or good enough."

23 Bayes first performed her husband’s song at The Amphion theater in Brooklyn.

24 Norworth and Bayes, who met and married in 1908, were celebrity stars known as "the happiest couple on the stage." They divorced five years later.

25 The Haydn Quartet released the first recording of Take Me Out to the Ball Game in September 1908.

26 In 1927, Norworth created new verses for the song in which Katie Casey was replaced by Nelly Kelly, a woman with similar hopes of being taken to a game.

27 The inspiration behind Casey’s and Kelly’s characters is unknown.

28 The original version of Take Me Out to the Ball Game is in U.S. public domain. The 1927 version, written under different copyright laws, is not.

29 The song has been used in more than 1,200 films, television shows and commercials.

30 In 1910, a 16-minute silent film called Take Me Out to the Ball Game was released. Little is known about the film.

31 A movie musical by the song’s name was released in 1949. It starred Gene Kelly, Frank Sinatra and Esther Williams.

32 The movie was a hit, grossing $4 million at the box office.

33 Kelly and Sinatra played Eddie O’Brien and Dennis Ryan, two players on the Wolves professional team who also were part-time vaudevillians.

34 The movie was released in the United Kingdom as Everybody’s Cheering.

35 Master promoter Bill Veeck attempted unsuccessfully to make Take Me Out to the Ball Game an integral part of ballgames in Milwaukee, Cleveland, St. Louis and Chicago the first time he owned the White Sox.

36 During his second stint as White Sox owner, Veeck tried the song again in 1976 with announcer Harry Caray singing. "Finally," Veeck said, "I got the right guy."

37 Caray, at left, would sing the song — without a microphone — during the seventh-inning stretch and, despite Veeck’s urging, did not want to sing the song for fans.

38 Said Caray: "I would always sing it, because I think it’s the only song I knew the words to!"

39 Mike Veeck, Bill’s son, said in an interview that Caray was told that a cassette copy of him singing the song would be played if Caray did not sing it live. So Caray relented.

40 The song’s popularity received an additional boost in 1981 when Caray moved across Chicago from the White Sox to the Cubs. With Cubs games on cable superstation WGN, Caray’s seventh-inning renditions became a nationwide sensation.

41 After Caray’s death, his widow, Dutchie, was honored on Opening Day 1998 as the first guest conductor of Take Me Out to the Ball Game at Wrigley Field.

42 After Sept. 11, 2001, under mandate from Major League Baseball, teams played God Bless America during the seventh-inning stretch for the rest of the season. The Cubs played both God Bless America and Take Me Out to the Ball Game.

43 In 2001, the Texas Rangers followed God Bless America during the seventh inning with an organ version of Take Me Out to the Ball Game.

44 For the 2002 season, MLB asked teams to play God Bless America during the seventh-inning stretch for Opening Day, Sunday games, holidays and special-event games. The Rangers continued to conclude the stretch with an organ version of Take Me Out to the Ball Game on those designated days.

45 Then-Rangers manager Billy Martin requested in 1975 that Thank God I’m a Country Boy be played during the seventh-inning stretch. When Martin was fired during the season, Take Me Out to the Ball Game became the team’s seventh-inning song.

46 When Chuck Morgan, the Rangers’ vice president of special events and entertainment, joined the franchise before the 1983 season, the Rangers’ tradition of playing Cotton-Eyed Joe during the seventh-inning stretch was in place. Morgan would play Take Me Out to the Ball Game during the middle of the fifth inning.

47 Beginning in 1993, the Rangers moved Take Me Out to the Ball Game to the seventh-inning stretch, followed by a shorter version of Cotton-Eyed Joe.

48 This season, as part of MLB’s celebration of the song’s 100th anniversary, the Rangers have held fan auditions for live performances of Take Me Out to the Ball Game. On Sundays and holidays, when God Bless America is sung live, an organ version of Take Me Out to the Ball Game follows.

49 Before games for two seasons earlier this decade, Morgan would play the song’s longer version — including verses — sung by Carly Simon for Ken Burns’ Baseball documentary. Now, the three-minute version is played before Saturday games.

50 This season, the Fort Worth Cats have switched to a live organ version of Take Me Out to the Ball Game, played by Evonne Fletcher during the seventh-inning stretch.

51 The forerunner to Cracker Jack debuted at the World’s Columbian Expedition, Chicago’s first World’s Fair, in 1893.

52 Three years later, the formula for keeping the molasses-covered popcorn morsels from sticking together was discovered. "That’s crackerjack!" a salesman exclaimed. The words "Cracker Jack" were then trademarked.

53 That formula remains a secret today.

54 Cracker Jack first appeared in a major league ballpark in 1907.

55 A 144-card set of 1914 Cracker Jack baseball cards, including Shoeless Joe Jackson and Ty Cobb, sold for $800,000 in 2004.

56 Enough Cracker Jack has been sold that if laid end to end it would circle Earth more than 69 times.

57 Cracker Jack is always singular, never plural. In other words, saying "Cracker Jacks" is incorrect.

58 July 5 is "Cracker Jack Day."

59 Yankee Stadium replaced Cracker Jack in 2004 with competitor Crunch ’n Munch. After fans expressed their displeasure, Cracker Jack returned later in the season.

60 Peanuts account for two-thirds of all snack nuts consumed in the United States.

61 The average American consumes more than six pounds of peanuts and peanut butter products each year.

62 U.S. Presidents Thomas Jefferson and Jimmy Carter were peanut farmers.

63 Astronaut Alan Shepard took a peanut to the moon.

64 Dr. Michael Meckna, professor of musicology in the TCU School of Music: "From a musician’s standpoint, Take Me Out to the Ball Game is an easy song with a narrow vocal range, simple melody and attractive lilting triple-meter dance rhythm."

65 Meckna says the song makes a great seventh-inning stretch ritual because it is "terrifically satisfying with its swaying meter and shouting" of "Three strikes, you’re OUT!" Meckna says the song’s monosyllabic words and imperatives — such as "Take," "Buy" and "Root" — make the song "attractive and fun."

66 Sports Illustrated writer Frank Deford wrote a story, which later became a book, around the song in 1988 — the song’s 80th anniversary and the 100th anniversary of Casey at the Bat. Deford portrayed the song’s heroine, Katie Casey, as the daughter of the poem’s mighty slugger, Casey.

67 Harpo Marx played the song on his harp during an episode of I Love Lucy.

68 The first episode of the second season of Sex and the City was titled "Take Me Out to the Ball Game." Sarah Jessica Parker’s character Carrie caught a baseball at Yankee Stadium, which led to a meeting with baseball star Joe Starr.

69 In a 1984 episode of Punky Brewster, Henry attempted to get tickets so he and Punky could watch the Cubs play in their first postseason championship since 1945.

70 American illustrator and painter Jim Burke illustrated a children’s book based on the lyrics.

71 San Diego Padres shortstop George Myatt had Take Me Out to the Ball Game played at his 1936 wedding at home plate of the then-minor league Padres’ Lane Field. It’s the first known wedding to include the song.

72 In 1950, pigeons were taught to play the song on a seven-key piano, then rewarded with food. The experiment was part of Harvard behavioral psychologist B.F. Skinner’s study on behavior and rewards.

73 During the 1991 World Series between the Minnesota Twins and Atlanta Braves, members of St. Olaf’s Roman Catholic Church in Minneapolis sang the song after all masses.

74 Kent, Ohio, sports radio station WJMP played versions of Take Me Out to the Ball Game more than 25,000 consecutive times to express displeasure with the 1994 players’ strike.

75 Mickey Mantle, Yogi Berra, Whitey Ford and Bill "Moose" Skowron performed the song on The Ed Sullivan Show in 1958.

76 More than 500 artists have recorded the song.

77 A quartet consisting of Phil Rizzuto, Ralph Branca, Roy Campanella and Tommy Henrich recorded the song in 1950.

78 Other baseball figures recording the song were Atlanta Braves pitcher Buzz Capra (1975) and umpire Joe West (1984).

79 Billy Joel included a live version of the song on his Live from Yankee Stadium DVD in 1990.

80 In July 1954, Wheaties included an actual record of the song on the back of cereal boxes.

81 The U.S. Postal Service is releasing a stamp on July 16 to commemorate the song’s centennial anniversary, making Take Me Out to the Ball Game the first song honored with a stamp.

82 The 42-cent stamp’s image is based on a circa-1880 trade card and has the words "Take Me Out to the Ball Game" and notes from the song.

83 The USPS also issued a Frank Sinatra stamp this year, although not connected to his role in the 1949 movie based on the song.

84 Earlier this year, The Songwriters Hall of Fame presented the song its Towering Award, given each year to a song that has influenced culture in a unique way.

85 Take Me Out to the Ball Game is estimated to have sold at least 6 million copies of sheet music and more than 8 million recordings.

86 In 2001, the song placed eighth among the top 365 songs of the previous 100 years. The survey was conducted by the Recording Industry Association of America and the National Endowment for the Arts.

87 In Simon’s version of the song she recorded for Ken Burns’ 1994 documentary Baseball, she changed the words in the first verse, "Ev’ry sou Katie blew," to "Every cent Katie spent." "Sou" was slang for a coin of small value.

88 Colorful relief pitcher Larry Andersen, who is best known as the player the Boston Red Sox received from the Houston Astros in exchange for Jeff Bagwell, said of the song: "In the seventh inning, fans all get up and sing Take Me Out to the Ball Game, and they’re already there. It’s really a stupid thing to say and I don’t know who made ’em sing it. Why would somebody that’s there get up and sing take me out to the ball game? The first person to do it must have been a moron."

89 Baseball’s sacrifice fly rule was introduced the same year the song was written.

90 For professional baseball’s 100th anniversary, in 1969, MLB commissioned the song Baseball Is More Than a Game as a newer, hipper kind of Take Me Out to the Ball Game. Take Me Out to the Ball Game survived the challenge.

91 Both the Brooklyn Dodgers (in 1940) and Los Angeles Dodgers (in 1958) honored Norworth with a "Jack Norworth Day."

92 Von Tilzer died Oct. 1, 1956, at age 78, in Los Angeles.

93 Norworth died Sept. 1, 1959, at age 80, in Laguna Beach, Calif.

94 Before his death, Norworth served as honorary president of the Laguna Beach Little League.

95 Beginning in 1958, the Cracker Jack Company presented the Jack Norworth Trophy to the winner of the city championship game between the winners of Laguna Beach’s two leagues.

96 Today, the Laguna Beach Little League presents the trophy to the regular-season winner of its Major League.

97 As part of the league’s Opening Day parades from 1952 until his death in 1959, Norworth handed out Cracker Jack.

98 Norworth’s widow, Amy, continued to distribute Cracker Jack on opening days into the 1990s.

99 After Amy Norworth’s death, the on-field distribution of Cracker Jack ceased. Today, the league no longer has opening ceremonies, but boxes of Cracker Jack are passed out during closing-day ceremonies.

100 The Norworths bequeathed royalties from the song to the American Society of Composers, Authors and Publishers to start a foundation that now provides about $1 million each year to support music education and develop talent. Singer-songwriter John Mayer received a grant through the foundation early in his career.

First Verse Katie Casey was baseball mad,

Had the fever and had it bad.

Just to root for the home town crew,

Ev’ry sou

Katie blew.

On a Saturday her young beau

Called to see if she’d like to go

To see a show, but Miss Kate said "No,

I’ll tell you what you can do:"

Second Verse Katie Casey saw all the games,

Knew the players by their first names.

Told the umpire he was wrong,

All along,

Good and strong.

When the score was just two to two,

Katie Casey knew what to do,

Just to cheer up the boys she knew,

She made the gang sing this song:

Chorus Take me out to the ball game,

Take me out with the crowd;

Buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack,

I don’t care if I never get back.

Let me root, root, root for the home team,

If they don’t win, it’s a shame.

For it’s one, two, three strikes, you’re out,

At the old ball game.
    "Always got the right side, whether or not the bet wins."

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 0659 View Post
    Baseball, now there's an exciting "sport".