The Siena men’s basketball team has been a very selective, even reluctant, 3-point shooting team since Jimmy Patsos became head coach three years ago.

While the Saints would rather attack the basket, Patsos did acknowledge that the lack of long-distance firepower hurt them in the 92-87 triple-overtime loss at Manhattan on Monday.

Siena shot 3 of 10 from behind the arc and the Saints didn’t make their first until 4:07 remained in regulation. Meanwhile, Manhattan was 9 of 26 and it was Shane Richards’ trey with 4:01 left in the third overtime that helped the Jaspers gain separation.

“Hey, look, the stats at Manhattan were exactly even,” Patsos reflected. “Every single statistic was even, but they made nine 3s and we made 3 (of them). The difference in the numbers was they made like (six) more 3s than us. No, we need someone else to shoot 3s.”

Interestingly, the Saints are 2-5 in games in which they make fewer 3-pointers than their opponents, 7-1 when they make as many or more. The only loss in that situation was Duke, which is obviously a superior team.

What impairs Siena is that their best 3-point marksman, the dramatically improved Marquis Wright, is relegated to the bench with a stress fracture in his right foot. He was leading the MAAC at 54.8 percent when he got injured.

Siena ranks last in the MAAC and 334th in the country with 15.4 3-point attempts per game. Their 5.3 makes per game is also last in the conference and 306th in Division I.

“I’m not just going to have someone shoot them to shoot them,” Patsos said. “I’m not going to fire them up. Sure, Marquis was shooting at a very high rate and he made big shots, too.”

With Wright out, Siena senior guard Ryan Oliver is the team’s top remaining 3-point threat at 36.4 percent. Junior forward Brett Bisping has shown he’s capable (.304), but he does his best work closer to the basket. Freshman guard Nico Clareth is more than willing to let fly, but he’s only hitting at a 25 percent clip this season. He did temporarily give the Saints the lead with a 3-pointer in the first overtime on Monday.

“Ryan’s part of the solution,” Patsos said. “Brett’s got to make another 3. I think Lavon (Long) can make some, but we need another guard to shoot. Nico’s got to play more minutes. Nico hit a big 3 against Manhattan. So I have to play Nico more.”

One potential threat is freshman point guard Kenny Wormley, who is 6 for 10 from 3-point distance this season.

Asked if he might look for his shot more, Wormley responded, “If the defense gives it to me, yeah, I’ll take it.”

Siena could be juxtaposed with Fairfield, Thursday’s opponent at Times Union Center, which fires away at will from 3-point range. The Stags attempt 26.8 3-pointers per game, which is second in the MAAC behind Canisius and ranks 16th in the country.