Bet on Sports at 1vice.ag Bet on MyBookie

My BTC wallet hacked

Still trying to figure out what happened. Moved about 0.2 BTC to my blockchain.com wallet, and within 30 minute, it was gone.

• Whenever I try to log in to my blockchain.com account, I get an email verification (2FA). This was working properly, at least whenever I log in. I never got an email about someone else trying to log in.
    • Whenever I receive/send BTC at this wallet, I get a text notification. I did not get a text when BTC was received. I did not get a text when the BTC was sent.
    • My recovery phrase is kept offline.

So it seems like it was either some sort of an inside job, or somehow the recovery phrase was compromised. Something just doesn't seem right.

I've moved on to using a hardware wallet now.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by namja View Post
    Still trying to figure out what happened. Moved about 0.2 BTC to my blockchain.com wallet, and within 30 minute, it was gone.

• Whenever I try to log in to my blockchain.com account, I get an email verification (2FA). This was working properly, at least whenever I log in. I never got an email about someone else trying to log in.
    • Whenever I receive/send BTC at this wallet, I get a text notification. I did not get a text when BTC was received. I did not get a text when the BTC was sent.
    • My recovery phrase is kept offline.

So it seems like it was either some sort of an inside job, or somehow the recovery phrase was compromised. Something just doesn't seem right.

I've moved on to using a hardware wallet now.
    That's scary but it will probably work out. Some kind of glitch maybe?

Quote Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
    That's scary but it will probably work out. Some kind of glitch maybe?
    Nope. I've emailed with blockchain.com back and forth several times. They say that once BTC is gone, it's gone.

Nope. I've emailed with blockchain.com back and forth several times. They say that once BTC is gone, it's gone.
    That sucks bro.
    Be careful. Always beware of phishing attempts.

If you go through the transaction number you can view the wallet that it was deposited to.

Quote Originally Posted by tulah View Post
    That sucks bro.
    Be careful. Always beware of phishing attempts.

If you go through the transaction number you can view the wallet that it was deposited to.
    Yeah, I see that. And I see that it has been receiving a bunch of BTCs from various sources in the past several days.

Iíve already reformatted both my computers and changed all my important passwords just in case.

Blog Entries
    Yeah, I see that. And I see that it has been receiving a bunch of BTCs from various sources in the past several days.

Iíve already reformatted both my computers and changed all my important passwords just in case.
    Not sure how they would get past your 2FA unless they have access to your phone. My phone only requires logging in with a PIN. When I login online I get sent a text to enter a code.

One thing that has never worked with my account is getting a text or email when I send and receive and I have it setup for that too.

I'm moving most of mine to my Ledger since seeing your thread. I've been lazy about that.

Blog Entries
    Hopefully you got a new backup phrase. Pretty sure when you backup you get a whole new set of 12 words. I'm not positive though. I backed up last night and the new words don't match anything I already had saved but I have several accounts. Now I'm getting myself and my accounts much more organized. Like I said, I've been slack on that.

Quote Originally Posted by MadJack View Post
    Not sure how they would get past your 2FA unless they have access to your phone. My phone only requires logging in with a PIN. When I login online I get sent a text to enter a code.

One thing that has never worked with my account is getting a text or email when I send and receive and I have it setup for that too.

I'm moving most of mine to my Ledger since seeing your thread. I've been lazy about that.
    If someone gets a hold of your private keys, then 2FA is moot since they can access the BTC from somewhere else. Iím trying to see if I (stupidly) put that on the cloud (dropbox, gdrive, evernote, etc.). Ugh.

Anyway, Iím over it. Will use hardware wallet from here on.