Cardinals and Blue Jays

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
95,440
223
63
ESPN believes the Cardinals and Blue Jays have agreed to a swap of Scott Rolen and Troy Glaus, pending physicals and the commissioner's approval.

That they need approval means there would be some money changing hands.





The ESPN report says nothing about either player agreeing to waive his no-trade clause. If this gets done, the Blue Jays would suddenly have one of the AL's best defensive infield, just two years after having arguably its worst. Cardinals pitchers would all see increases in their ERAs with the switch from Rolen to Glaus.
 

sharky17

ICECOLDBEERHERE
Forum Member
Apr 26, 2004
6,267
18
0
51
Shores of Lake Huron, Ontario
Rolen's health still concerns me a bit, but then again, I don't think Glaus will ever be 100% again.

From CBSSportsline:

ST. LOUIS -- The feud between Scott Rolen and Tony La Russa could soon be over.

The St. Louis Cardinals were close to a trade Saturday night that would send the disgruntled Rolen to the Toronto Blue Jays for Troy Glaus in a swap of All-Star third basemen, a person familiar with the deal told the Associated Press.

Several media outlets reported earlier in the day that the proposed trade was close to being completed, pending both players passing physicals. The Canadian Press said Rolen and Glaus each agreed to waive their no-trade clauses.

A person close to the negotiations, speaking to the AP on condition of anonymity because the trade had not been finalized, said the deal was on the verge of being done.

Cardinals general manager John Mozeliak did not return a telephone message from the AP.

Rolen would become the second St. Louis star to join Toronto in the offseason. The Blue Jays signed former Cardinals shortstop David Eckstein, the MVP of the 2006 World Series, to a one-year free agent contract earlier.

The 32-year-old Rolen hit a total of only 35 home runs the last three years while being hindered by a left shoulder injury that has required three operations. He and La Russa have clashed since the 2006 postseason, when the manager benched Rolen.

Rolen requested a trade after last season.

La Russa, who agreed to a two-year contract extension in October, held a hard line on the Rolen situation at the winter meetings last month. La Russa said then that if Rolen plays hard, he'd be in the lineup and if he didn't, he'd be on the bench.

"If he doesn't like it, he can quit," La Russa said.

The 31-year-old Glaus was hampered by a bad left foot last season while hitting 20 homers in 115 games. Playing on grass in St. Louis rather than artificial turf in Toronto could be beneficial for Glaus, who totaled 75 homers in 2005-06 and has a pair of 40-homer seasons.

Last year, SI.com reported Glaus received steroids from Signature Pharmacy between September 2003 and May 2004. On Dec. 6, Major League Baseball said it found insufficient evidence to discipline him.

Rolen batted .265 with eight homers and 58 RBI in 112 games last season before undergoing a season-ending cleanup procedure for his shoulder in September. He has three years and $36 million remaining on his contract.
 

no pepper

Banned
Forum Member
Aug 8, 2000
1,750
169
63
63
St. Louis
as a cardinal fan I hate this deal. I would rather have Rolen and lose LaRussa.

Glaus is on his way down the hill, like Jim Edmonds.
 

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
95,440
223
63
Blue Jays acquired third baseman Scott Rolen from the Cardinals for third baseman Troy Glaus.

A rare challenge trade between two teams that are hoping to contend. We suppose we'd gamble on Rolen first, since even if his shoulder continues to take away from his offense -- and it likely will -- he will play great defense. Glaus is just about as likely to miss time in 2008, and while he'll outhit Rolen, he's turned into a liability on defense. Still, even if Rolen is the better bet, he has the uglier contract at $35.4 million for three years. Also, the Jays are reportedly sending over $1.8 million in the trade. The Cards wanted Glaus to pick up his 2009 player option as part of the deal, leaving him committed to them at $24 million for two years. Neither should be a particular asset at those prices.
 
Bet on MyBookie
Top