Hot tub time machine

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

tball

Forum Member
Apr 5, 2001
boston, ma

My guess is that this is going to be terrible.

at first glance the thought is... how can this be anykinda funny/good?... though -supposedly- its as entertaining, if not more so, than THE HANGOVER, which i thought was OK, had it's moments.

hot tub time machine has already garnered 3 out of 4 stars from critics like Roger Ebert and.... well, some other guy too... though the user reviews seem to have it getting really good reviews.... minus the snobby purists who claim is a pull on their intellect.

i think it'll be surprisingly funny, s'my thought. prolly not seeing in the movie theatre though--as they just steeped the ticket prices...why, not sure... craziness.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ppabart

Not banned
Forum Member
Dec 13, 2000
Decatur, GA USA
none
Hangover = very funny

Hot Tub Time Machine :shrug:

They better be showing some of the lamer parts of the movie on the commercials if this movie is supposed to be in the same area code as The Hangover

tball

Forum Member
Apr 5, 2001
boston, ma
Hangover = very funny

Hot Tub Time Machine :shrug:

They better be showing some of the lamer parts of the movie on the commercials if this movie is supposed to be in the same area code as The Hangover

honestly, i think you guys give the hangover entirely too much credit... making out to be funnier than actually is. "who let the dogs out, re-tard, julio and blood bros." moments all provided by that bearded fella were worthy, funny parts. everything else pretty forgettable imo.

i'm not trying to champion one movie over another either, i havent seen this new one, jus passing along my .02. hangover was good, though, i liked old school alot more--thats me.

to each their own.

tball

Forum Member
Apr 5, 2001
boston, ma
Roger Ebert:
I wasn't disappointed. This is a step or two below "The Hangover," but occupying similar turf. It's another guy picture, which is like a buddy picture, except usually without cops. The guys bond, they seek to relive their misspent youth, there are women and even wives around, but they're strictly in supporting roles.

Unexpected, Hilarious Movie!
[SIZE=-2]by nip (movies profile) <NOBR>Mar 26, 2010</NOBR>[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-2]1 of 1 people found this review helpful [/SIZE]
<TABLE><TBODY><TR><TD height=7></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>[SIZE=-1]Kind of like The Hangover, but better!

Based on the trailer alone, I would not be inclined to see this movie. But trust me, the trailer does not do this film any justice! It is witty, crude and down right hilarious. There was never a dull moment!

Although the plot may initially sound a bit tacky, the talent of the actors and the humor in the script definitely bring this movie together. If you are looking for a good laugh (and are open to a few dirty jokes here and there), you HAVE to see Hot Tub![/SIZE]
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

other:
How you feel about ?Hot Tub Time Machine?? will depend on how you feel about ?80s movies. Not the high-class stuff like ?Out of Africa?? but the drive-in swill and smutty teen comedies. ?One Crazy Summer,?? ?My Chauffeur,?? ?Earth Girls Are Easy,?? ?The Last American Virgin?? ? all those raucous, big-haired junk classics you watched at 1 a.m. on HBO while helping yourself to dad?s pina colada mix.

though there are too, plenty of these

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=3 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR bgColor=white><TD vAlign=center align=left width="24%" bgColor=white>[SIZE=-1]Boston Globe
Ty Burr[/SIZE]
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" colSpan=$cols>[SIZE=-1]"...it?s not clear whether Cusack really wants to be here."<NOBR> [SIZE=-2]more...[/SIZE]</NOBR>[/SIZE]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="13%" bgColor=white>B-</TD></TR><TR bgColor=white><TD vAlign=center align=left width="24%" bgColor=white>[SIZE=-1]Chicago Sun-Times
Roger Ebert[/SIZE]
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" colSpan=$cols>[SIZE=-1]"I wasn't disappointed. This is a step or two below The Hangover, but occupying similar turf."<NOBR> [SIZE=-2]more...[/SIZE]</NOBR>[/SIZE]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="13%" bgColor=white>B </TD></TR><TR bgColor=white><TD vAlign=center align=left width="24%" bgColor=white>[SIZE=-1]Chicago Tribune
Michael Phillips[/SIZE]
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" colSpan=$cols>[SIZE=-1]"At last, a fun, idiotic movie that lives up to its name."<NOBR> [SIZE=-2]more...[/SIZE]</NOBR>[/SIZE]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="13%" bgColor=white>B </TD></TR><TR bgColor=white><TD vAlign=center align=left width="24%" bgColor=white>[SIZE=-1]E! Online
Peter Paras[/SIZE]
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" colSpan=$cols>[SIZE=-1]"...more than the rest of this strong cast, Corddry is the standout."<NOBR> [SIZE=-2]more...[/SIZE]</NOBR>[/SIZE]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="13%" bgColor=white>B+</TD></TR><TR bgColor=white><TD vAlign=center align=left width="24%" bgColor=white>[SIZE=-1]Entertainment Weekly
Lisa Schwarzbaum[/SIZE]
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" colSpan=$cols>[SIZE=-1]"...a fun dip into a pool of memories that are best forgotten again once the booze wears off."<NOBR> [SIZE=-2]more...[/SIZE]</NOBR>[/SIZE]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="13%" bgColor=white>B </TD></TR><TR bgColor=white><TD vAlign=center align=left width="24%" bgColor=white>[SIZE=-1]Filmcritic.com
Sean O�Connell[/SIZE]
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" colSpan=$cols>[SIZE=-1]"...disappointing..."<NOBR> [SIZE=-2]more...[/SIZE]</NOBR>[/SIZE]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="13%" bgColor=white>C-</TD></TR><TR bgColor=white><TD vAlign=center align=left width="24%" bgColor=white>[SIZE=-1]Hollywood Reporter
Kirk Honeycutt[/SIZE]
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" colSpan=$cols>[SIZE=-1]"A potentially wry comedy about time travel plunges into a hot tub of tepid juvenilia."<NOBR> [SIZE=-2]more...[/SIZE]</NOBR>[/SIZE]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="13%" bgColor=white>C </TD></TR><TR bgColor=white><TD vAlign=center align=left width="24%" bgColor=white>[SIZE=-1]New York Times
A. O. Scott[/SIZE]
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" colSpan=$cols>[SIZE=-1]"It?s fun, it?s sad, and it?s kind of sad that it?s so much fun."<NOBR> [SIZE=-2]more...[/SIZE]</NOBR>[/SIZE]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="13%" bgColor=white>B </TD></TR><TR bgColor=white><TD vAlign=center align=left width="24%" bgColor=white>[SIZE=-1]Reelviews
James Berardinelli[/SIZE]
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" colSpan=$cols>[SIZE=-1]"A lot of what's intended to be funny falls flat, in part because it's too obvious and in part because director Steve Pink is clumsy when it comes to comedic timing."<NOBR> [SIZE=-2]more...[/SIZE]</NOBR>[/SIZE]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="13%" bgColor=white>C </TD></TR><TR bgColor=white><TD vAlign=center align=left width="24%" bgColor=white>[SIZE=-1]Rolling Stone
Peter Travers[/SIZE]
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" colSpan=$cols>[SIZE=-1]"...the warmed-over Hot Tub Time Machine forgets it takes smarts to do stupid right."<NOBR> [SIZE=-2]more...[/SIZE]</NOBR>[/SIZE]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="13%" bgColor=white>B-</TD></TR><TR bgColor=white><TD vAlign=center align=left width="24%" bgColor=white>[SIZE=-1]USA Today
Claudia Puig[/SIZE]
</TD><TD vAlign=center width="50%" colSpan=$cols>[SIZE=-1]"The intercutting of the guys as they look in 2010 with their fleeting images from 1986 is clumsily edited, the retro references are predictable and key plot points are skimmed over."<NOBR> [SIZE=-2]more...[/SIZE]</NOBR>[/SIZE]</TD><TD vAlign=center align=middle width="13%" bgColor=white>C </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

it is my feeling, Joker will llike this movie, because, well, he enjoys movies for what they are, intended etc. --and i think, not even having seen this, that he'll at the least, give it at least 3 :0corn :0corn :0corn out of 5. does that equate to netflix-worthy, prolly.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
honestly, i think you guys give the hangover entirely too much credit... making out to be funnier than actually is. "who let the dogs out, re-tard, julio and blood bros." moments all provided by that bearded fella were worthy, funny parts. everything else pretty forgettable imo.

i'm not trying to champion one movie over another either, i havent seen this new one, jus passing along my .02. hangover was good, though, i liked old school alot more--thats me.

to each their own.

Agreed. I'm still not sure why The Hangover is as popular as it is. It's a decent movie -- like you said, there are some funny parts, but I don't know why everyone went crazy for it. I remember reading a review a while back that said without Galifinakis that probably would have been a below average movie. I can't say I disagree with him on that. He pretty much steals the show, IMO.

Who knows though, maybe the ridiculous amount of hype over that movie had my expectations set too high. This is obviously just my opinion, but I think the vast majority of Apatow's movies are better than The Hangover.

fletcher

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 21, 2000
henderson,nv.
at first glance the thought is... how can this be anykinda funny/good?... though -supposedly- its as entertaining, if not more so, than THE HANGOVER, which i thought was OK, had it's moments.

hot tub time machine has already garnered 3 out of 4 stars from critics like Roger Ebert and.... well, some other guy too... though the user reviews seem to have it getting really good reviews.... minus the snobby purists who claim is a pull on their intellect.

i think it'll be surprisingly funny, s'my thought. prolly not seeing in the movie theatre though--as they just steeped the ticket prices...why, not sure... craziness.

I thought the hangover was great, LMAO maybe it is just me but saw it 3 times 1 time at movies 2 times on ppv. I rolled watching it.

gjn23

Forum Member
Mar 20, 2002
So. Cal
sorry

but the hangover was the funniest comedy in a LONG time (since wedding crashers in my opinion)

usually, comidies have 2-3 funny moments....this movie was non stop laughter.

old school was also very funny.....but the last 30-40 mins were terrible.

looking fwd to seeing hot tub machine, but dont think it will be as funny.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ppabart

Not banned
Forum Member
Dec 13, 2000
Decatur, GA USA
none
sorry

but the hangover was the funniest comedy in a LONG time (since wedding crashers in my opinion)

Old School.....hilarious

Wedding Crashers.......classic!

Anchorman......60% of the time, I laugh everytime ;)

40 Year Old Virgin........its definitely not all about bullhole pleasures :)

The Hangover......awesome and need to see it more

LDB

Forum Member
Nov 18, 2007
Bay Area, CA
I have a feeling this movie is going to be dumb... sure funny moments here and there, just doesnt get my attention enough to actually waste two hours out of my day to see it.. :shrug:

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
sorry

Well, it's obviously a matter of opinion. You get a wide array of opinions on comedies because whether or not you like a movie is completely dependent on your own sense of humor. My sense of humor is much different than most people, so maybe that's why I didn't think the movie was all that great? :shrug:

Like I said, I thought Galifinakis was great in it, and the dude who plays Andy Bernard on The Office was good, too. But other than that, I thought a lot of the jokes seemed forced/contrived. For instance, I think most people thought the Tyson scenes were funny. Personally, I thought they were painful to watch. Nothing funny about watching somebody who can't act, IMO. It reminded me of watching Barkley on SNL earlier this year. That was awful, too.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg