Gus Malzahn to Vandy

wareagle

World Traveler
Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
MEMPHIS, TN
www.dunavant.com
FYI

Auburn offensive coordinator Gus Malzhan has said he wants to be a college head coach one day. The 2010 Frank Broyles Award winner, given to the nation's top college assistant coach, has said he would wait until the right time and opportunity to present itself.

According to sources close to Malzahn, the opening at Vanderbilt doesn't quite fit the criteria.

Malzahn Friday in New York, a day before his star quarterback Cam Newton was named the 2010 Heisman Trophy winner.
After reports from the Washington Post and Internet sites referencing bogus Twitter feeds Sunday claiming Malzahn had already accepted the head coaching job in Nashville and would be introduced as Robbie Caldwell's successor Monday, a source close to Malzahn said the reports are "not true".

Another source, also speaking on condition of anonymity, said Malzahn, if he has not already, planned to turn down the lucrative offer by the Commodores.

Vanderbilt reportedly offered Malzahn a multi-year contract worth an estimated $3 million per year, which would make him the third-highest paid coach in the Southeast Conference behind Alabama's Nick Saban ($5.17 million) and LSU's Les Miles($3.5 million), according to the USA Today.

Malzahn's boss at Auburn, Gene Chizik, has a university-based $2.1 million annual salary, according to the USA Today.

According to an Auburn University source, the Tigers are set to reward Malzahn heavily after his offense, led by Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Cam Newton, broke NCAA, SEC and school records in 2010.

Auburn is 13-0, SEC champions, atop the BCS Standing and set to play No. 2 Oregon in the BCS National Title Game Jan. 10 in Glendale, Ariz.

Auburn, according to the university source, is prepared to offer Malzahn in excess of $1.3 million annually to continue directing the Tigers' offense. Sources close to Malzahn say he is expected to accept the raise from the Tigers and stay on Chizik's staff at Auburn.

airportis

Forum Member
Sep 22, 2006
NJ
Auburn should give Vandy Chizik and keep Malzahn.

Auburn will take a gigantic hit if they lose Malzahn. Period. He is the reason that team is so good, not Gene Chizik.

wareagle

World Traveler
Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
MEMPHIS, TN
www.dunavant.com
Auburn should give Vandy Chizik and keep Malzahn.

Auburn will take a gigantic hit if they lose Malzahn. Period. He is the reason that team is so good, not Gene Chizik.

While I don't fully disagree with your statement About how good Gus is, it's no fluke that chizik has been undefeated 3 times in the last 6 years and appeared in two bcs title games. When he leaves Gus that is, we will hire someone very good to run the offense.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Trizzle

Forum Member
Jan 13, 2005
Lattimore City, SC
You couldn't be more wrong

He talked to numerous coaches after the heisman ceremony last night and said there was no deal. As of right now there is still no deal. Like I said he likely will take the Job but quit fucking running your mouth like you have inside info, because you don't

Snippy, snippy !! Dont shoot the messenger. Just passing on information.

layinwood

Forum Member
Aug 29, 2001
Dallas, TX
You couldn't be more wrong

He talked to numerous coaches after the heisman ceremony last night and said there was no deal. As of right now there is still no deal. Like I said he likely will take the Job but quit fucking running your mouth like you have inside info, because you don't

Dude, take a chill pill. You act like he called you a little bitch or something.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

jrush2525

WAR EAGLE
Forum Member
Mar 15, 2009
Birmingham, AL
CGM is staying, he just became the highest paid OC in the country and I'm glad to keep him for another year. :toast:

Last edited:

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
Will be interesting to see how the aub o will fare next season without cam and replacing 4 on the ol. It certainly seemed to the untrained eye that cam and his ol, not the scheme, were what made them click this season.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

jhawksoon

Forum Member
May 1, 2005
The Heartland
Will be interesting to see how the aub o will fare next season without cam and replacing 4 on the ol. It certainly seemed to the untrained eye that cam and his ol, not the scheme, were what made them click this season.

I'm sorry, but I think you could not be more wrong. I've said this in other topics, but Malzahn has done this at every school he has been at. And let's not forget just how bad the offense was while Tuberville was there, before Malzahn. They were the worst offense in the SEC and if I remember right, one of the worst in the country. He has completely turned it around, but I agree that it is not completely Malzahn. You would have to be stupid to think that Newton doesn't fit the system perfectly.

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
I'm sorry, but I think you could not be more wrong. I've said this in other topics, but Malzahn has done this at every school he has been at. And let's not forget just how bad the offense was while Tuberville was there, before Malzahn. They were the worst offense in the SEC and if I remember right, one of the worst in the country. He has completely turned it around, but I agree that it is not completely Malzahn. You would have to be stupid to think that Newton doesn't fit the system perfectly.

Without Cam, I think Aub does this year what they did last year. Good O that excels against weak OOC squads. 24 or so ppg in SEC play, and contained to 15ppg by Bama and LSU. That does not make Malzhan a goat, but it is far from genius material from where I'm standing. Next year will tell us plenty.

As I've mentioned, Aub will play 7 tough games, with 5 of them on the road. It should be a nice test for Malzahn, his inexperienced QB and his new OL.

jhawksoon

Forum Member
May 1, 2005
The Heartland
Without Cam, I think Aub does this year what they did last year. Good O that excels against weak OOC squads. 24 or so ppg in SEC play, and contained to 15ppg by Bama and LSU. That does not make Malzhan a goat, but it is far from genius material from where I'm standing. Next year will tell us plenty.

As I've mentioned, Aub will play 7 tough games, with 5 of them on the road. It should be a nice test for Malzahn, his inexperienced QB and his new OL.

Good points, but all I'm saying is that he took an offense that ranked 104th in 2008 and with many of the same mediocre players increased the production to 16th in the nation. In my book that's absolutely amazing. I don't know if you realize that he jumped the offense up 88 spots! I can't imagine that they would be as good without Newton, but I don't think it will be a dramatic dropoff.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

airportis

Forum Member
Sep 22, 2006
NJ

couldnt be farther from the truth. look at malzahns 1st season with auburn and the enormous improvement with tubbervilles players under gus' system. now he recruits players for his system. the auburn offense wont drop much at all. as long as gus is there it will consistently be one of the best in the country. period.

airportis

Forum Member
Sep 22, 2006
NJ
by the way, give it a year or 2 and Kiehl Frazier will make you forget about Cam Newton.

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans
couldnt be farther from the truth. look at malzahns 1st season with auburn and the enormous improvement with tubbervilles players under gus' system. now he recruits players for his system. the auburn offense wont drop much at all. as long as gus is there it will consistently be one of the best in the country. period.

By saying that this is not further from the truth, you are insinuating that you know something definitively. This, however, is a matter of opinion. Although I am backing my opinion with some facts, I realize that in the end it is merely my opinion. Glad to know that your convictions are this strong, but I still disagree with your position based on the following.

I'll keep saying it, but what I saw out of Aub's offense last season was not overly impressive. The numbers had to improve from Tubb's pathetic last season. I watched 2 complete games in '09, vs LSU and Iron Bowl. LSU held them to 3 points until a TD on the last play of the game. Aub O fared better vs Bama, but nothing to write home about.

Their overall offensive numbers were skewed high by scoring plenty vs softer competition(averaged 48.5 ppg vs Furman, West VA, LA Tech and Ball St), but they were held in check by the better defenses they faced. Aub scored 15.5 ppg vs the only 2 good defenses they faced in 2009 ( including 7 points on last play of blowout @LSU) and averaged roughly 250ypg in those 2 losses. Again, GM led them to improved numbers over '08, but still nothing special and the QB and OL were more experienced in '09 season than this coming season.

The biggest key to why I feel that Cam, not Gus, made this team is the jump in 3rd down % this season. Last season, they converted a reasonable 40%, but this year the number jumped (against a far tougher schedule) to a sickening 53%. Apparently, you and others attribute the 33% increase to GM, but I see it differently. I witnessed Newton do things that other players cannot. His strength and great feet made it happen. His yards after contact are ridiculous. Not to mention, did you see how dominant the OL play was in the SEC title game and the back half of Iron Bowl?

As indicated in prior post, I feel that Cam and OL are responsible for tranforming Aub's good offense from last season into a special offense, which converts as needed and beats you howeer you allow them to. They will grind out first downs or hit you with the big play. Even if you get to Cam, that does not mean the defender will make the play. I am pretty sure that will not be the case after Cam is gone

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

TLankford

Donkey
Forum Member
Nov 24, 2005
Austin, TX
Cie. You do realize that in 2009 we had Chris Todd. He and Kodi Burns (tubberville / franklin kids) are two of the worst kids we've had play quarterback in the history of Auburn Football. And we still went 8-5.

That alone makes 2009 impressive to me.

We will have a regression next year if/when Cam leaves and our OLine goes with him. but our boys have been recruiting (paying) some real big guys to fill those shoes. And Keihl Frazier should help us forget about Cam, as an above poster stated

jhawksoon

Forum Member
May 1, 2005
The Heartland
Their overall offensive numbers were skewed high by scoring plenty vs softer competition(averaged 48.5 ppg vs Furman, West VA, LA Tech and Ball St), but they were held in check by the better defenses they faced.

Cie glad to see that you can handle a civilized discussion on a topic without flying off the handle. It is very refreshing and commendable. As far as the numbers being skewed, you could say the same for this year's squad. They have averaged 48.25 ppg vs. Clemson, Ark. St., La. Monroe, and Chattanooga. The two best defenses they faced (Miss. St. and LSU) they averaged 20.5 of course you are talking about two different years and different defenses. I'm definitely not saying that you stick any other QB in this offense and they would be scoring at the same rate, but I am definitely saying that if Newton went to Miss. St. they would not be scoring 45pts per game. Like you said it's a matter of opinion and it's good to see a civilized discussion.