Derby breakdown

twofingers

Forum Member
Nov 16, 1999
my plays based on fast track and fast pace

1. Mo Donegal - Big closer. Dont think post will hurt as he was going to back of pack regardless. Great jock. If he can handle the traffic he will be flying at end.

2. Happy Jack - Showing some improvement but would need a lot of things to go right to it the board.

3. Epicenter - Expect this one to be a front runner, settling in second tier down the back stretch. Has a good burst and will be a contender as they turn for home. Can he make the distance with the closers breathing down his neck. Using him in exotics.

4. Summer is tomorrow - Speed horse. Should help set a legit pace. Finish well back

5. Smile happy - Stalker. Could hold on for a piece. Like others better

6. Messier - Could be sitting on big effort. Game effort in Santa Anita after tackling front runner. If he gets a good trip I could see him winning this.

7. Crown Pride - UAE winners never do well in derby. Pass

8. Charge it - Would need to continue to improve to be in the mix. Has speed but can he hold it for 1 1/4?

9. Tiz ther bomb - Threw a 101 beyer last time out. That effort here puts him in the race but facing better this time.

10. Zandon - Big time closer. Has the ability to blow horses away in stretch. Plat one of the best in negociating traffic. If he gets a good trip he could get home in time.

11. Pioneer of Medina - Will battle early and then tire

12. Taiba - Has the ability to be a special horse but everything has gone right for him so far. Short fields, easy trips. Easily outdueled Messier in SA derby but Messier did all the dirty work in that race. Could be the best in this field if he handles the large field and continues to improve in 3rd time out.

13. Simplification - Talented horse who could contend at decent price. Rank him a bit below a few others but would not surprise me ith Jose on board

14. Barber Road - Overmatched IMO. Green jock from Finger Lakes

15. White Abarrio - Won 4 of 5 and steady improvement. If pace is slower then I expect he could steal this from slightly off the pace. Good young aggressive jockey.

16. Cyberknife - Will settle in behind front runners. Distance could be a problem for him here and speed figures rate below.

17. Classic Causeway - Rabbit. Most likely candidate to finish last

18. Tawny Port - Closer who could sneak in for minor awards if all the speed dies but hard to see him beating Zandon and Mo Mc

19. ZOZO - tough post for speed horse. Will probably rush to front and have tyo use up to much early.

20. Ethereal Road - Good luck

WPS - 12
EX - 12 - 6 - 1 - 10
tRI - 12/1 6 10/ 1 3 6 8 10

sUPER FOR FUN - 12-1-3 6 10