Nhl 9/17

TexasBC6

Registered User
Forum Member
Dec 10, 2000
828
0
0
46
Austin, TX
Zednik returns to Montreal


Canadian Press


9/17/2002


MONTREAL (CP) - Winger Richard Zednik was close to re-signing with the Montreal Canadiens, agent David Schatia said Tuesday.

"It's a question of crossing the t's and dotting the i's, but the basic concept is in place,'' said Schatia. "It should be settled within the next day.''

Zednik, 26, the Habs' only no-show at the start of training camp last week, arrived in Montreal on Tuesday afternoon from his home in Slovakia, Schatia said.

The Canadiens opened their camp in Vail, Colo., but are scheduled to return to the Bell Centre on Wednesday.

The agent said he came up with a new formula to crack an impasse that stalled the two sides despite being only $100,000 US apart last week.

The Canadiens reportedly offered $1.7 million US for 2002-03 and $1.8 million US for next season, while Zednik held out for $1.7 million US and $1.9 million US.

"We came up with a concept that is somewhat novel that makes everyone a winner,'' said Schatia, adding that the contract would still be for two years. "We're negotiating that right now."

"I've come up with a strategy they've taken a liking to.''

Zednik, who earned $765,000 US in 2001-02, had career highs in goals (22), points (44) and games played (82) last season and led the Canadiens in shots with 249.

The six-foot, 198-pound winger was hot in the playoffs, scoring four goals and adding four assists in the first four games of the Habs' first-round upset over Boston before he was knocked unconscious by an elbow from Bruins defenceman Kyle McLaren, who was suspended for the rest of the series.

Zednik, a 10th-round draft pick by Washington in 1994, was acquired from the Capitals along with Jan Bulis and a first-round draft pick on March 13, 2001, for Trevor Linden, Dainius Zubrus and a second-round pick.
 
Bet on MyBookie
Top