Tue, May. 21, 2002
Royals Report: Suzuki promoted but club still cagey about
tonight's starter
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
ANAHEIM, Calif. - The Royals are suddenly treating the selection of a starting pitcher for
tonight's game against the Angels like a state secret.
The club summoned right-hander Mac Suzuki from Class AAA Omaha, Neb., before
Monday's 6-3 loss. That seemed to solve the mystery. Suzuki started last Friday and could,
presumably, be ready for at least four or five innings tonight.
The Royals declined to make any such commitment.
"We go day by day," manager Tony Pena said. "We know we've got Blake (Stein for
Monday's game). For Tuesday, I don't know. I might use somebody from the bullpen."
When asked which pitcher from the bullpen might be a candidate, Pena said, "I don't
know. It depends on who I use (Monday)."
General manager Allard Baird was similarly evasive, saying only, "We plan to make that
decision (today)."
With Stein back in the rotation, Dan Reichert is the only current reliever with recent
starting experience in the major leagues. But Reichert pitched three innings Saturday and
two-thirds of an inning Monday in relief of Stein.
So stay tuned.
This much is known: Suzuki is with the club. The Royals cleared space for him by optioning
outfielder Brandon Berger back to Omaha.
Suzuki, 26, was 12-18 with the Royals in parts of three seasons before being traded last
year with catcher Sal Fasano to Colorado for catcher Brent Mayne on June 24.
Suzuki was later released by the Rockies and signed by Milwaukee, which released him
after the season. He re-signed with the Royals in the off-season as a minor-league free
agent.
Baird said Suzuki received good reports from Omaha manager Bucky Dent and pitching
coach John Cumberland.
"He's shown an improved ability to get ahead with a first-pitch fastball," Baird said. "That
makes his second pitch, a split-finger, a lot more effective.
"We're basically looking at him as a guy who can get six to nine outs."
Suzuki pitched primarily in relief this year for Omaha, compiling an 0-3 record and 2.63 ERA
in 13 games. He made a spot start last Friday for Class AA Wichita and threw five scoreless
innings in getting a no-decision.
Suzuki said he was surprised by his promotion but not as surprised as last week -- when
he was told to pack and go to Wichita for a start.
"They just told me some starter down there got hurt or had a family problem," he said.
"They needed a starter, so I needed to go down there to pitch.
"I tried not to complain."
Royals Report: Suzuki promoted but club still cagey about
tonight's starter
By BOB DUTTON
The Kansas City Star
ANAHEIM, Calif. - The Royals are suddenly treating the selection of a starting pitcher for
tonight's game against the Angels like a state secret.
The club summoned right-hander Mac Suzuki from Class AAA Omaha, Neb., before
Monday's 6-3 loss. That seemed to solve the mystery. Suzuki started last Friday and could,
presumably, be ready for at least four or five innings tonight.
The Royals declined to make any such commitment.
"We go day by day," manager Tony Pena said. "We know we've got Blake (Stein for
Monday's game). For Tuesday, I don't know. I might use somebody from the bullpen."
When asked which pitcher from the bullpen might be a candidate, Pena said, "I don't
know. It depends on who I use (Monday)."
General manager Allard Baird was similarly evasive, saying only, "We plan to make that
decision (today)."
With Stein back in the rotation, Dan Reichert is the only current reliever with recent
starting experience in the major leagues. But Reichert pitched three innings Saturday and
two-thirds of an inning Monday in relief of Stein.
So stay tuned.
This much is known: Suzuki is with the club. The Royals cleared space for him by optioning
outfielder Brandon Berger back to Omaha.
Suzuki, 26, was 12-18 with the Royals in parts of three seasons before being traded last
year with catcher Sal Fasano to Colorado for catcher Brent Mayne on June 24.
Suzuki was later released by the Rockies and signed by Milwaukee, which released him
after the season. He re-signed with the Royals in the off-season as a minor-league free
agent.
Baird said Suzuki received good reports from Omaha manager Bucky Dent and pitching
coach John Cumberland.
"He's shown an improved ability to get ahead with a first-pitch fastball," Baird said. "That
makes his second pitch, a split-finger, a lot more effective.
"We're basically looking at him as a guy who can get six to nine outs."
Suzuki pitched primarily in relief this year for Omaha, compiling an 0-3 record and 2.63 ERA
in 13 games. He made a spot start last Friday for Class AA Wichita and threw five scoreless
innings in getting a no-decision.
Suzuki said he was surprised by his promotion but not as surprised as last week -- when
he was told to pack and go to Wichita for a start.
"They just told me some starter down there got hurt or had a family problem," he said.
"They needed a starter, so I needed to go down there to pitch.
"I tried not to complain."

