Caitlyn

TouchdownJesus

Forum Member
Jun 13, 2004
North Carolina
I assume to try and be "unique". Same reason men's game won't switch. I've felt for years that men's, if they're gonna stay w halves, should go to 22 minute halves. Also, even the 30 second shot clock is too much. I used to hate the 45 and even the 35. Just go to 25 second. Reward good defense and also let defense replace late game fouling for the most part.

But they won't do it. They don't want it to be so similar to NBA and I think they like the "excitement" of free throws down the stretch etc. Years ago I used to beg for shorter shot clock and longer 3 point line. Like I say, of course they finally did it but it took forever. The women's have had a 30 sec clock for a long, long time now. Also, men's should let them advance the ball on a timeout and not call timeout after a made basket but again, they all want to be unique.

I like halves for men, just wish it was 22 minutes. And I like quarters for women...but the women's game just sucks. Maybe a lower goal would help but I doubt it. They made the ball smaller, why not make the goal 9'6 or something.

Oh one last thing while I'm rambling. I also thought years ago that the women's game should go to 24 second shot clock (or 25 if need to be different) and make zone defense illegal like the old school NBA. You can double the ball but you can't double team away from the ball. I think a lot of people miss the old NBA "illegal defense" rules and that if the women's game would incorporate it might get more viewers...and then perhaps the men's game would adopt it as well.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

jng

Packer Fan
Channel Member
Nov 15, 2000
The women’s game does not suck.
I think it used to be weak, but they are a bunch of solid athletes and they play fun to watch defense.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

softballmvp

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 2, 2012
I assume to try and be "unique". Same reason men's game won't switch. I've felt for years that men's, if they're gonna stay w halves, should go to 22 minute halves. Also, even the 30 second shot clock is too much. I used to hate the 45 and even the 35. Just go to 25 second. Reward good defense and also let defense replace late game fouling for the most part.

But they won't do it. They don't want it to be so similar to NBA and I think they like the "excitement" of free throws down the stretch etc. Years ago I used to beg for shorter shot clock and longer 3 point line. Like I say, of course they finally did it but it took forever. The women's have had a 30 sec clock for a long, long time now. Also, men's should let them advance the ball on a timeout and not call timeout after a made basket but again, they all want to be unique.

I like halves for men, just wish it was 22 minutes. And I like quarters for women...but the women's game just sucks. Maybe a lower goal would help but I doubt it. They made the ball smaller, why not make the goal 9'6 or something.

Oh one last thing while I'm rambling. I also thought years ago that the women's game should go to 24 second shot clock (or 25 if need to be different) and make zone defense illegal like the old school NBA. You can double the ball but you can't double team away from the ball. I think a lot of people miss the old NBA "illegal defense" rules and that if the women's game would incorporate it might get more viewers...and then perhaps the men's game would adopt it as well.
I'm curious if anyone is aware that there used to be an "illegal offense" rule in the NBA also. I only saw it called once way back in the day and I was like, what? They explained it, but I don't recall what it was. Something about the offense had to have at least x amount of players in x area.
I was just told yesterday by a woman's BB enthusiast that it was switched to 4 Qtr's because of TV adds. Can get them more frequently that way or something. Was also told that Men's BB would switch to it as well because of that. We shall see.

• Love
Reactions: TouchdownJesus

TouchdownJesus

Forum Member
Jun 13, 2004
North Carolina
I'm curious if anyone is aware that there used to be an "illegal offense" rule in the NBA also. I only saw it called once way back in the day and I was like, what? They explained it, but I don't recall what it was. Something about the offense had to have at least x amount of players in x area.
I was just told yesterday by a woman's BB enthusiast that it was switched to 4 Qtr's because of TV adds. Can get them more frequently that way or something. Was also told that Men's BB would switch to it as well because of that. We shall see.
Hey! Sorry, just haven't been around much since March Madness. I saw an "illegal offense" called once years ago. I think the rule was that you couldn't isolate one-on-one down low or something to that affect so basically if you just put 4 guys near halfcourt and their defenders had to be within guarding defense then you could possibly take advantage of a mismatch near the rim. You wouldn't be able to double-team in time. I don't know all the specifics but I do remember it!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg