Fade the Huskers all year folks!

DNOMYAR_5791

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
While they will have some upgrades in their front seven on defense, it would help if any of these guys showed up for the "voluntary" summer workouts.

Scott Frost, Former NU QB who commanded their National Title run in 1997 just commented a couple of days ago about how "in the old days everyone would be here working out and busting their tails."

There is only a handful of players there right now and with a 3 new faces on their O-Line now is the time for them to be gelling together. Nebraska's Hallmark used to be outworking the opponent and that alone will usually help pull you through 2 or 3 close games in the end.

NU just ran off their most talented Linebacker 3 weeks ago and the ironic thing is that he was one of the hardest workers on the team and (not to mention most gifted). You will see LB Jason Richenberger in the NFL someday. Furthermore many players there are disgruntled by now and a few more transfers are eminent.

The approach and mindset around Lincoln are very very different these days.

When the spread on the Neb ASU game comes out and you see NU favored by 28 believe me they won't cover that.

Just a little tidbit to get us to August.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

DNOMYAR_5791

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Taoist, you may be right I have already done my power ratings on this and think that it may actually come out around 24-25. I will tell you that this team is going to have a heck of a time trying to score points early in the year until this Offensive line gels, and Jammal Lord develops a comfort zone. The key thing also missing from this Husker offense will be production from the tight end. We do not have great blocking tight ends or Tracey Wistorm to stretch the field anymore. Our secondary is a joke right now and it is not a good thing when you peg your hopes on a freshman who has never played a down, albeit this guy is compared to former Husker All-American Ralph Brown.

Don't buy into the Dahhran Diedrick hype this year guys. He is very solid but not a first round caliber back that many project him to be. He is probably not even the best runner on the Husker team, but the staff likes to reward guys who "work hard" or have seniority over flat out talent.

I will have a lot more interesting tidbits to share and provide in depth analysis about them all year long.

You keep the info coming in on the vols and their salary cap too ya hear???

:D ;) kurby

Murph29

Forum Member
Jun 13, 2002
California
Husker Problems

Husker Problems

I went to UNL and currently coach HS football in CA. I still have ties with friends who know a ton about Husker football. I think Solich has not done a good job of recruiting. They need to get back to recruiting OL like the kid out grand Island. He is 6 5 and 250. These are the kinds of kids they mold into 6 5 300 pounders that can move. My friends opinion was that Fonoti moving on was the best thing to ever happen. Watching all year, as a an OL coach, Waldrop consistently got beat inside on Run plays. His job should be to seal backside, but he was horrible at it.

My friends were raving about the RB from Omaha Central they got, but said NU let the better RB from Prep got to ISU. Figures. They also raved about the LB who was just a stud. I went the Rose Bowl and was embarrassed for them. Their LBS were so slow. NU has gotten away from the speed they used to have at that position. Almost looked like the 80's again.

They also mentioned that Bohl had almost become an outcast on the staff. The staff is made up of devout Christians and he is rumored to be drinking heavily, keeping poor company, and having questionable personal relationships. (These are actually more than rumors, but do not want to go to much detail) If he has problems on the staff, it could be a long year. I felt that he made zero adjustments vs Colo last year. Colorado did a great job running Zone with a designed cutback against us and the LBs over and over flew to play with no adjustment made. Friend talked to him in a grocery store a few months later (he appeared intoxicated) and he just talked about how he had no answers for it. WOW

I'm a die hard Husker and my brother will start there in the fall, but NU needs to start improving in many areas.

Thanks for your info. will continue watching your posts.

DNOMYAR_5791

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
MURPH, I have very very good connections to the program too and agree with a lot of what you said.

Bohl is talented but as you said personal issues have almost gotten this guy removed from his job. There are a few incidents too to add upon what you touched on that really put this guy in the bad graces of Frank Solich (whom he does not get along well with at all) He was literally inches away from the termination after the Rose Bowl but not necesarrily because of the perfomance of NU.

Nelson Barnes is the worst coach on our staff. He is not well-respected by his current Rush Ends, or former players he had for them. Isn't it amazing how Nebraska's production fell of at that position (which used to be a staple) when he came over from Texas, and there was no backlash at Texas when he left? Jeff Jamrog while a good recruiter was a major reach to coach DT's.

Waldrop is a fat slob and Tenopir basically told him : Lose the weight or lose your job. He has taken some of that to heart as he has lost around 25 lbs and is finally taking this thing seriously.

You can chalk up losing Stevie Hicks (the otehr RB to ISU) to the fact that a> Gillespie did not like him b. we were saving that other RB spot for Gerald Riggs and C. We wanted him to play LB.

Fonoti gained like 15 lbs at the Rose Bowl along with Waldrop and that is only in the 2 weeks they stayed there! Richie Incognito will be an upgrade over Fonoti mainly because of his work -ethic and his mean streak that Tenopir likes to call "spunk" something that Fonoti never had.

Another real problem we had with Colorado last year, was that we did not have a safety that could come up and play run support. Willie Amos while a great athlete is not a good hitter and he was running scared all day. We missed Phillip Bland bad that day.

Let me put that game into retrospect for some of you out there. Daniel Graham Colorado TE was faster than any man on our team including Eric Crouc and Willie Amos. He was running wild, because we had that "Greyshirt" Shanle who runs about a 4.9 trying to chase him. Team speed on defense last year was about as bad as it has been at NU since the late 80's early 90's.

Another interesting tidbit for you guys. There are huge rifts between the medical staff and our director of strenght and conditoining Boyd Eppley. That man is the Godfather of strenght training for football. However it looks as if our rash of football players groin injuries and pubaglia can be attested to some of his new machines. The medical staff has really made the team cut out a lot of important strenght exercises as well. That whole situation is an ongoing mess.

Jammal Lord is going to be very good in time.

One other tidbit about Solich. I was in on a conversation last year with the great Tom Osborne and some pretty high up people from Nebraska and I will leave it at that and take this statement for what it is worth, but my other info is on point:

He said that he made the biggest mistake of his life retiring when he did, and especially by giving the reigns to Solich. He felt that Solich is an outstanding asst but really does not have the stones to be a great HC, 1. He lacks assertiveness to tell asst coaches when they are fuhking up and takes the buddy approach to them 2. He is not very good at calling plays at all

While the sky is not exactly falling on NU yet there are some signs pointing to mediocrity in the future. There is a lot more that I will pass on to you guys in regard to this and their upcoming preparations.

Many of us in the know about this team expect 4 losses, 3 would be a miracle 5 is definitely possible. This will be a transition year for NU, in what will lead to another run at the Title in 2003.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Murph29

Forum Member
Jun 13, 2002
California
Thanks

Thanks

Thanks for your thoughts and response

I think that Solich would be well served naming Gill the OC. 1. That would keep Gill around because there are some that are afraid of his leaving, and be it would take some pressure off Solcih for game management. The Rose Bowl was a joke. It was a major decision in 3rd and 4th qtrs every play. He also did a very poor job of subbing ie mainly for Crouch. This will lead to the stunted development of Lord. I have liked him every time I have seen him. I also hear that the QB from NC isn't all that far behind him. Oh well, thanks.

Go Big Red!!

:spotting:

DNOMYAR_5791

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
MURPH

MURPH

Glad to have your insight here too buddy, enjoy the ride! :cool:

I will add this about the OC Situation from what I have been told.

Ron Brown is actually the guy that we would rather not lose than Turner Gill. Turner Gill really dropped the ball on the handling of the Newcombe and Crouch situation back in 99. Crouch totally out played in in camp and when he came in, but Newcombe was Gill's favorite. That is why EC went back to Omaha and was about an inch or two away from transferring to Ohio State or even Notre Dame. Granted Gill is a very good coach with a good offensive mind; but Ron Brown is much more sutied to call the plays and manage the offense.

Solich still believes that he can manage a game better than either Gill or Brown and that is going to hurt us if that continues. Check out our road record under Solich and you will see why folks in the know say we may lose 5 games with 3 being all but a done deal.

I will tell you one reason we pounded Crouch so much last year was obviously to try to get him the Heisman trophy which as you correctly stated at the expense of Lord. We should have been getting this guy as many reps as he could. That is why Lord has had such a bad rap the last couple of years. He is actually one of the hardest working people on the team and a very mature responsible young man. I can also tell you the reason when we did run the option and you rarely saw Crouch pitch it, was laregely due to the fact that Diedrick has schitty hands and could not keep up with Crouch around the corner, furthermore Eric was or best weapon and Diedrick was not or never will be a threat to take it to the house like Eric was.

Eric played most of the year with bruised ribs and a jacked up shoulder as he did in 2000. That is why his passing really suffered late in the year.

The kid Curt Dukes from North Carolina is the real deal. He already beat out Mike Stuntz for the number 2 spot and is almost a shoo in not to redshirt. He is the best pure option QB we have had since Tommy Frazier (he is almost that good). He makes great decisions, has very good speed and is big and strong in the mold of Scott Frost. I doubt that Dukes would supplant Lord at QB (Lord was wearing a green jersey all of spring ball for a reason and will during fall camp I can tell you ). However, Dukes is being groomed to be a 2 year starter and you can bet that Mike Stuntz will either switch positions or be relegated to the bench because he is not in the same league as Curt Dukes.

We were dead before the Rose Bowl even started. Jeremy Shockey was faster than anyone we had on our defense in that game except for Willie Amos. Miami created the same problems that Colorado did for us. It did not help that we had a bunch of players get fat in Pasadena and secretly believe that we did not have a chance. Our D-Line last year was one of the worst in recent memory going against one of the best College O-lines since the HUsker O-line of 1995.

If you are in San Diego, enjoy the Carne Asada! About the only thing I miss about Nebraska anymore is Runza and Fairbury hot dogs, because taxes out there freaking suck :mad:

Hope to hear from you here again soon!

Murph29

Forum Member
Jun 13, 2002
California
NOt a runza person

NOt a runza person

Hate runzas but can't beat BIG RED fairbury Dog at Memorial Stadium. Have a vendor toss you a dog from the bottom, you open the dog, take it out, put the $$ inside the wrapper and throw it back down to the bottom. At least that's how my drunkin mind remembers it. I do miss a good ol fashion steak. One of the best I ever had was at Czechland in Prague. Thing was hangin off the end of the plate!!:eek: :eek: Wish I could go back and see a game. Just can't work it out with my own football schedule (playoffs go into Dec) All I have here is UCanLoseAgain (UCLA) and University of Second Choice (USC) Got to meet Pete Carroll three weeks ago. Nice guy, just kinda short. Was recruiting our twins. Everyone is recruiting these two kids. Knew they were for real when Carroll showed to talk to them. Oh well

Talk at ya later.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bgold13

The BestBradley
Forum Member
Nov 1, 2000
encino, ca
Game one I figure the spread will be 28+ vs ASU. I am a die hard ASU guy and coming off six straight losses to end the year...it would be hard to imagine the oddsmakers giving asu any respect. I hope it is high becasue ASU can stop the option...they cannot stop the deep pass. ASU offense can score on anyone I believe. I see Nebraska winning by 10 to 21 points. I will write in depth a little closer towarsd the season

Hooks

Forum Member
Aug 14, 2000
VEGAS
Courtesy of The Gold Sheet-

Huskers usually "reload" rather than "rebuild",but even Lincoln faithful wondering how good TYs team can be(lost 11 starters,including Heisman winning QB Crouch). You could say Big Red is hoping for some "devine intervention"from 6-2,210 jr. qb Jammal Lord,who steps into Crouchs cleats.Coaches like Lords armstrength and up-field speed. However,HC Solich,quick to say burden of offense won't be placed early Lords shoulders. Solich turned some heads when he named true frosh Curt Dukes(prized recruit out of N. Carolina)as #2 q.b.(Dukes graduated early;participated in spring).
N.U. deep at rb Still,coaches want more big plays out of sr. I backs Diedrick(1299YR LY) and Tunder Collins(good reciever;will be targeted more TY.Jr. Josh Davis& RS frosh Marquess Simmons provide breakaway speed.
Recievers should get immediate help with return of former prized recruit Ross Pilkinton(minor leaque baseball last 2 years).
OL could be a notch below recent editions(lost 3 starters; Chris Loos still not fully recovered from offseason knee surgery) Best new starter could be RS frosh Ritchie Incognito.
There are also concerns on DL (embarassed by Colorado last yr), which Solich says needs to get quicker& stronger.Keep an eye on 6-5,305 RS frosh Seppo Evwareye.
Coaches raving about range of juco LB Demorrio Williams possible imediate impact). But secondary dealt big blow when top cover CB Willie Amos(4 ints) blew out his knee,and will likely miss all of TY. That leaves sr. Dejuan Groce as only returning DB with starting experiance(coaches planning lots of zone TY)

SUMMARY: NU gets Texas and Colorado at home(no Oklahoma unless in Big 12 title game) A transition year, with much of teams sucess dependant upon execution,leadership & the TOs of unproven jr. QB Lord.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

DNOMYAR_5791

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Hooks

Hooks

Hello fellow dodger fan, like your shirt ;)

Here are a few things I can add to what you gave us from the Gold Sheet

Huskers usually "reload" rather than "rebuild",but even Lincoln faithful wondering how good TYs team can be(lost 11 starters,including Heisman winning QB Crouch). You could say Big Red is hoping for some "devine intervention"from 6-2,210 jr. qb Jammal Lord,who steps into Crouchs cleats.Coaches like Lords armstrength and up-field speed. However,HC Solich,quick to say burden of offense won't be placed early Lords shoulders. Solich turned some heads when he named true frosh Curt Dukes(prized recruit out of N. Carolina)as #2 q.b.(Dukes graduated early;participated in spring).

Lord knows the offense in and out. He is a better thrower than Crouch but that is not saying much. Lord is a guy whom has "eyes in the back of his head" and will be a much better scrambler than Crouch was, but will not be that homerun threat from the backfield that NU was so used to having with EC. The burden of the offense really will not be put onto Lord largely due to the fact that with Crouch gone the offense as a whole will have to step up. Can they do that? I doubt it this year.

N.U. deep at rb Still,coaches want more big plays out of sr. I backs Diedrick(1299YR LY) and Tunder Collins(good reciever;will be targeted more TY.Jr. Josh Davis& RS frosh Marquess Simmons provide breakaway speed.

Diedrick played most of last year with a bum ankle (which was not publicized) however this guy runs a 4.65 at best and does not have good hands. He is not afraid of contact and will squeeze every last inch out of every carry though which makes him a solid but not spectacular option. The Huskers have moved IB Thunder Collins to WB in an effort to get their best players on the field all at once. He will get an occasional carry from the IB spot, but JR. Josh Davis the 2nd fastest out of all NU I backs will probably get 10 carries a game or so and will offer the breakaway threat at IB that NU has been missing for a long time. Keep an eye out for RS FR Marquess Simmons, the fastest out of all NU backs to make a few big plays. He runs very tough for his size and has good hands out of the back field to add punch and is considered the future at IB for NU.

Recievers should get immediate help with return of former prized recruit Ross Pilkinton(minor leaque baseball last 2 years).

Ross Pilkington is the real deal and is very much in the mold of All-time record holder Matt Davison, but a step faster. Incoming Recruits Isiah Fluellen of Germany (fastest american in Europe) and highly touted Mark LeFlore of Omaha figure to play right away adding tremendous speed and depth to what was considered to be a weakness. SE Wilson Thomas will create matchup problems for everyone in the Big 12 with his size alone 6-6".

OL could be a notch below recent editions(lost 3 starters; Chris Loos still not fully recovered from offseason knee surgery) Best new starter could be RS frosh Ritchie Incognito.

Chris Loos figures never to play again and he was a huge loss. Richie INcognito is in the mold of the "Pipleine" of Husker All-Americans and has a tremendous mean streak. C John Garrison the SR is the leader and a great technician at his position. The other players in the mix are very talented but there is little time to gel which could create problems. Dan Waldroup if he can get his weight down even more can be an all-american.

There are also concerns on DL (embarassed by Colorado last yr), which Solich says needs to get quicker& stronger.Keep an eye on 6-5,305 RS frosh Seppo Evwareye.

"Hungry Hungry Seppo" runs an electronic 4.95 40 yard dash. At his size that is scary. He constantly demanded double and even triple teams in practice. This is the one position where the Huskers will be significantly more athletic than last year. He will team with DT LeKevin Smith with similar size and skills to whom is also a redshirt FR to give NU a very formidle 1-2 punch in the middle. Keep your eyes peeled for DT Ryon Bingham who is in the mold of the Peter Brothers in terms of strenght and intensity.

Coaches raving about range of juco LB Demorrio Williams possible imediate impact). But secondary dealt big blow when top cover CB Willie Amos(4 ints) blew out his knee,and will likely miss all of TY. That leaves sr. Dejuan Groce as only returning DB with starting experiance(coaches planning lots of zone TY)

Demorrio Williams is the real deal but what is troubling is that he is one of the guys not in the voluntary "summer workouts". He reminds many observers of Terrel Farley, a blitzing and tackling demon whom was instrumental in helping the Husker Defense to the title in 1995. The Huskers did lose their best LB as a transfer (Jason Richenberger). There is a lot of mishandling of personnel on the defensive side of the ball that Craig Bohl needs to get unfukhed if NU wants to be an elite front 7, or an average front 7. The ball is in his court, they do have the players .

Amos is a huge loss as he made a seamless transition from Safety to CB. He was the fastest player on the NU team and suffered a gruesome knee injury to the ACL and MCL in a freak non-contact accident during a scrimmage. He will definitely be out this year and part of next year, as he is just regaining range of motion now and needs more surgery to kill more scar tissue.

DeJuan Groce at the other Corner is an excellent cover man but does not have the speed to be a "shut down guy" 4.7 in the 40 yard dash. As a matter of fact former walkon CB Pat Ricketts is currently the fastest of all NU corners at a 4.56 40 yard dash and is pencilled in as the other starter at this time. NU is banking that incoming recruit Fabian Washington of Fla and his 41" vertical jump and 4.35 speed will supplant Ricketts and bring back memories of Ralph Brown coming in 1996 as a freshman and providing immediate stablity and star power to the other corner spot.

SUMMARY: NU gets Texas and Colorado at home(no Oklahoma unless in Big 12 title game) A transition year, with much of teams sucess dependant upon execution,leadership & the TOs of unproven jr. QB Lord.

NU plays their toughest schedule in quite some time and have some very interesting road games vs.

Penn State
Texas A&M
Oklahoma State
Iowa State
Kansas State

None of those games are gimmes and Colorado and Texas being on the home dockett are sure to lead to at least a split. This team looks to be on par with the 98 team that went 9-4 . NU AD Bill Byrne knew what he was doing by scheduling 2 extra games with McNeese State and Arizona State which should help keep the 9 game winnign seasons intact in LIncoln but maybe by a nose. Some of the honus will be on Lord, but The offensive line will need to pave the way for a down year in talent for Nu runners and while a talented but young defense gears itself up for what should be a title run again in 2003.

DNOMYAR_5791

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Solich is a good coach (but not great) who took 2 of his 4 teams within a whisker of NC's, and had a third in decent position until late in the season. His record of 42-9 is better than almost coaches in the country the last 4 years. It's better than Osborne's first 4 years.

And he did it all while breaking in a new defensive coordinator the last 2 years.

What else could we expect? The best you can hope for when following a legend is to maintain the ship on the same course. He's done that basically.

Huskers had a couple of bad classes in 99 and 2000 that are hurting them right now. He has some issues with assistant coaches but when Dollar Bill (Nebraska AD Bill Byrne lays his foot down, Frankie will have to lay the wood as well on non-producing assistants.)

Therefore I find no comparisons between Solich and Gibbs accurate...

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
Solich will bring down the program just like Gibbs did.....that is a comparison i made right after his first year and the one I stick with....he can't coach and can't recruit like Osborne/Devaney....just watch....sorry to say, but the Husker Nation is going to have 7 years of Drought so sayeth prophet Freeze

DNOMYAR_5791

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Freeze, I respectfully disagree. While Solich will never be a Devaney or Osborne, who will? (No Bob stoops cracks allowed).

If it can happen to Florida State, it can happen to anyone. I don't dispel the fact that this will indeed be a down year for the Huskers, but watch out for this bunch in 2003.

Hopefully Solich will hand the playcalling duties to WR coach Ron Brown or QB coach Turner Gil. That would solve a lot of problems right off the bat.

Oh yeah, he needs to fire RE coach Nelson Barnes. And maybe employ some dirty recruiting tactics like Colorado.

You better hope they don't put the Sooners on SI cover, nasty rumor floating around that it is going to happen!!!
:fingerc: :drinky: :bigear:

ChuckyTheGoat

Forum Member
Dec 18, 2000
Dno:
Great info! Thx!

Two quick comments:
* I'm surprised that Fonoti was seen as a negative. Were all those pancakes a mirage? Was his pass blocking/foot quickness as poor as Kiper made it sound?
* This is an obvious point, but I'd be shocked if any Big 12 team completes the regular season undefeated. Looking over the schedule, it seems that every team will have 3 major pitfalls on the road, w/o even considering home gms.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Murph29

Forum Member
Jun 13, 2002
California
CTG Re Fonoti

CTG Re Fonoti

CTG

Fonoti was so massive he was unable to make some of the reach blocks required in an option offense and unable to seal backside on run plays, hence RBs and QBs run down from the backside. Waldrop was even worse at that than Fonoti therefore the staff had Waldrop come in 30 lbs. lighter. There were also issues with how much those two really cared about winning. Their interviews after the Rose Bowl showed them just happy as all be after being thoroughly schooled by Miami. I don't exactly think that players that invest themselves into a big game and get whooped are happy interviews after those games. I didn't even mention his pass blocking skills.

Some lead by example and I think Fonoti may have been one those because their are good leaders and bad leaders. Players who have zero work ethic and seem to not care sometimes are able to spread that cancer. Not sure if that is true here, but could be.

GO BIG RED

DNOMYAR_5791

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Chucky, I hope I have provided you and many others good insight on this years edition of the Huskers and I promise you guys second to none info in regard to them.

Murph, you hit the nail on the head in regard to Fonoti and Waldrop. It was just sickening how fat these two guys got out in Pasadena and during winter break. Fonoti relied on just pure ability alone (which is very scary). Waldrop was on Tenopirs schitt list after the Rose bowl and all spring and winter conditioning. Waldrop seems to have taken it to heart, because he has lost close to 30lbs and can be a very good player if he keeps working. (guess the threat of losing your position should be motivation enough)

Many inside of the program sincerly believe that RS Frosh Richie Incognito will be an upgrade over Fonoti and that speaks volumes. Incognito is an absolute animal, extremely athletic and does not look to have an ounce of fat on him at all carrying 6-2 305lbs on his frame, and a very vocal and strong leader whom really leads by example in the mold of the Wistroms and Peters that the Huskers have been sorely lacking not only in the talent but leadership role for a few years now.

The talent is there on the Husker O-line but this is a young young group that will take some time to gel. The sky isn't exactly falling this year, but the celing of opportunity for the Huskers is not nearly as high as it has been in the past.

If Nebraska gets some breaks they can probably win 10 games and play in the Cotton Bowl and even win the Big 12 North. However a 4-5 loss season and Alamo Bowl or Independence Bowl Berth seem very very likely...