Freaky- "Strike before Iran's nukes get hot

Chanman

:-?PipeSmokin'
Forum Member
Charles Krauthammer

"Strike before Iran's nukes get hot"

Did we invade the wrong country? One of the lessons now being drawn from the 9/11 report is that Iran was the real threat. The Iraq War critics have a new line of attack: We should have done Iran instead.
Well, of course Iran is a threat. But how exactly would the critics have "done" Iran? Iran is a serious country with a serious army. Can you imagine the Iraq War critics actually supporting war with Iran?

If not war, what then? The Bush administration, having decided that invading one axis-of-evil country was about as much as the country can bear, has gone multilateral on Iran. Washington delegated the issue to a committee of three - the foreign ministers of Britain, France and Germany - that has been meeting with the Iranians to get them to shut down their nuclear program.

The result? They have been led by the nose. Time is of the essence, and the runaround that the Tehran Three have gotten from the mullahs has meant that we have lost at least nine months in doing anything to stop the Iranian nuclear program.

Iran instead of Iraq? The Iraq critics would have done nothing about either country. There would today be two major Islamic countries sitting on an ocean of oil, supporting terrorism and seeking weapons of mass destruction - instead of one.

Two years ago, there were five countries supporting terror and pursuing WMDs - two junior-leaguers, Libya and Syria, and the axis-of-evil varsity: Iraq, Iran and North Korea. The Bush administration has just eliminated two: Iraq, by direct military means, and Libya, by example and intimidation.

Syria is weak and deterred by Israel. North Korea, having gone nuclear, is untouchable. That leaves Iran. There are only two things that will stop the Iranian nuclear program: revolution from below or an attack on its nuclear facilities.

The country should be ripe for revolution. But the mullahs are very good at police-state tactics. The long-awaited revolution is not happening. Which makes the question of preemptive attack all the more urgent. Iran will go nuclear during the next presidential term. If nothing is done, a fanatical terrorist regime openly dedicated to the destruction of the "Great Satan" will have both nuclear weapons and the terrorists and missiles to deliver them. All that stands between us and that is either revolution or preemptive strike.

Both of which, by the way, are far more likely to succeed with 146,000 American troops and highly sophisticated aircraft standing by just a few miles away - in Iraq"

Chanman

:-?PipeSmokin'
Forum Member
Iraqis anticipating security, jobs from interim government
Fixing police force among most urgent tasks

San Francisco Chronicle
Vivienne Walt, Chronicle Foreign Service
Tuesday, June 29, 2004

Baghdad -- The news had barely finished blasting from radio sets in Baghdad taxis and on the streets when Iraqis began to debate the meaning of Monday's surprise announcement for their future.

The hopes and expectations of change they felt when American tanks rolled into Baghdad on April 9 last year were a distant memory. Now, two pressing demands lie squarely at the feet of the interim government: security and jobs.

Some Iraqis were optimistic that a more independent government would be able to provide the security that American occupiers had not been able to deliver.

"It's like a new birth for Iraq," said Fawzi Asad, 34, a goldsmith. "It's like the light at the end of the tunnel. God willing, we'll go through the tunnel."

The ceremony handing over formal sovereignty stirred long-dormant nationalist sentiments in many people.

"Before, we felt like we were captive," said Ali Jassem, owner of a women's clothing store on upscale Karada Street, who watched the proceedings on satellite television. "This is the day when Iraqis got back their freedom and their power."

But there were other, dimmer views of the proceedings.

"What could possibly be different? Unless, of course, the new government has a magic wand," said Qasim Al-Duleimy, 32, a metal worker whose tiny storefront shop is set in one of the most crime-ridden neighborhoods of downtown Baghdad. "We need the government to keep their promises," he said, sitting on a plastic garden chair outside his store in the blistering heat, as a tiny radio blasted out the morning's news.

Earlier this month, Duleimy had watched as armed men launched a rocket- propelled grenade at the police station next door to his store. Until last year's war, the police presence had provided some comfort, in an area frequented by petty thieves, pimps and prostitutes. The armed attack -- the second the station had faced during the past year -- was a dismal example of current-day Iraq. "The police all ran away," Duleimy said. "So what kind of police do we have here, anyway?"

Fixing Iraq's haphazard police force is among the government's most urgent issues -- and an essential part of the U.S. military's exit strategy. In Paul Bremer's 15-month tenure as head of the U.S.-led occupation, nearly 120,000 police officers were hired, a fact cited repeatedly by coalition officials as an impressive accomplishment that would greatly relieve the burden of American soldiers.

Iraqi officials now admit that tens of thousands of them were largely untrained and far less prepared for battle than the insurgents and armed militia they faced. Interim Prime Minister Iyad Allawi has vowed to crush the insurgents. Iraqis generally believe that tough stance may succeed in finally quelling the explosive violence that has wreaked havoc for months and killed hundreds of Iraqis.

In an opinion poll this month of 2,200 Iraqi households, conducted by the Washington-based International Republican Institute, 70 percent of Iraqis said security was the most important issue, and 68 percent ranked economic improvement as the top problem.

On both those issues, nearly 70 percent said they believed that the interim government -- rather than the U.S. government or American military - - was the best group to tackle the country's precarious situation. Nearly 73 percent of those surveyed believed that the handover would "improve the situation."

With those hints of optimism, some of Baghdad's older residents wondered whether Iraq could finally return to a past they remembered from the 1960s and 1970s. Then, the country was among the wealthiest, and its citizens among the best educated, in the Middle East. Years of war, repression by Saddam Hussein and international sanctions have almost obliterated those memories among Iraq's younger generations.

"We lived through this long period of ignorance during the 1990s. In the 1970s, I went everywhere. I visited Morocco and Nigeria," said Raad Mohammed, 56, manager of the Fils Restaurant, a popular hamburger restaurant in Baghdad's middle-class neighborhood of Mansour.

As the television in the restaurant replayed Paul Bremer's helicopter departure from Baghdad, Mohammed, who was a former cultural attache in various Iraqi embassies before the 1991 Gulf War, said: "I feel perhaps we can now get back to that time I remember."

Sitting with him, the restaurant's cashier, Mazen Salman, 37, was more cautious, saying that Iraqis' two biggest demands -- security and employment -- were intricately connected.

"Without safety, we will not have any jobs," said Salman, who is a trained civil engineer but has been unable to find work in his field.

Faisal Estrabadi, an Iraqi American lawyer from Chicago who helped draft Iraq's interim constitution, flew into Baghdad Monday, hoping to make it to the handover ceremony originally scheduled for Wednesday. With his airline ticket stub still in his pocket, Estrabadi was forced to watch the ceremony on television when it was secretly pushed forward two days.

As he listened to Allawi tell Iraqis to unite in peace against the insurgents, he said the approaching campaign for elections scheduled for next January would center on one issue: violence.

"If this government can regain security, they have a very, very good chance of being re-elected," he said. "If they cannot regain security, they will be run out of town."

Chronicle Foreign Service correspondent Borzou Daragahi contributed to this report.

franken.jpg

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

djgorno55

The C.O.
Forum Member
Apr 1, 2004
Dunkirk, NY
Raymond if your so excited about taking out iran why dont you go and sign up for the military then and you go over there. its easy for you to sit here at your computer and say lets go take over this country lets go do this in this country but you dont think about all the troops that have spent the last year and a half in iraq then come back here and now the president wants to send up to a different country you need to think about things

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
Chanman, Thank you for posting an article showing just how far the right is willing to go to defend their poster boy.Once again the author pretends to know how those against war would react if Bush decided to fight terrorism instead of wasting our resources in Iraq. By the authors own admission Iraq had no real army. I thought we went in because they were a threat. Oh well, let's get past this lying piece of crap and talk about Iran. They may very well be a real problem. I would agree to go in there and wipe them out. I do not think we can go in, like the Commander and Thief did in Iraq and try to convert them to Democracy. If we go in we go with one goal. To bring them to their knees. Not to be friends with them. Forget this PC type of war that Bush and Rumsfeld like to fight while our guys get picked off like ducks in a shooting gallery. If we go in to win the war, not make money for Halliburton, I am all for it.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
Chanman, I think that article points out how hard it is going to be to govern Iraq. Too may different groups of savages that have been fighting for thousands of years. It will be near impossible to bring peace to Iraq for years as that country will find itself embroiled in a bitter civil war featuring various factions.

RAYMOND

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 31, 2000
usa
djgorno55 said:
Raymond if your so excited about taking out iran why dont you go and sign up for the military then and you go over there. its easy for you to sit here at your computer and say lets go take over this country lets go do this in this country but you dont think about all the troops that have spent the last year and a half in iraq then come back here and now the president wants to send up to a different country you need to think about things

IRAN IS THE NUMBER ONE TERRORIST GROUP GOING!

LETS GO BACK

IRAN TOOK 52 AMERICAN HOSTAGES

IRAN WAS BEHIND THE 241 MARINE KIILED IN A TRUCK BOMB

IRAN AID TERRORIST

IRAN IS THE GOD FATHER OF TERRORIST

IRAN TEACHES TERRORIST !

UNTIL WE DEAL WITH IRAN THERE WILL ALWAY
BE TERRORIST!

IRAN WITH NUKES LOL THAT TROUBLE

TO ASK YOUR QUESTION I HAVE NO PROBLEM
JOINING THE ARM FORCE, I BEEN THE FIRST ONE TO GO , AND YES AT 43 YEARS OLD NO PROBLEM . BECAUSE I CARE ABOUT EVERY AMERICAN! :)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RAYMOND

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 31, 2000
usa
And If I Was A Good Speller I Would Go On And On And On
Thank God For Thats Lol, Iran Should Have Been Deal With Along Time Ago , Until Its Is Deal With ,the Problem Will Not Go Away , No I Don't Like War , I Like Peace But Never Let Anyone Push You Around. If So Let Them Have It , Open Your Eyes People , Before Its To Late

RAYMOND

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 31, 2000
usa
djgorno55 said:

HOW MANY PEOPLE HAVE TO DIE ! BEFORE SOMETHING IS DONE, IT MAY BE YOU MY FRIEND OR YOUR LOVE ONES, THEN IT MAY BE TOO LATE
:rolleyes: , THESE TERRORIST GROUP ARE GETTING STRONGER AND STONGER, AND IRAN IS TERRORIST. THEY WANT US DEAD!

IF SOME ONE GOING TO KILL ME , I GOING TO KILL THEM FIRST :142lmao:

Last edited:

RAYMOND

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 31, 2000
usa
Then We Need The Draft! And Yes I Have Two Sons Who Are AROUND
18 Years Old , Got To Do -what You Have To Do

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

RAYMOND

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 31, 2000
usa
Why Do You Think These Muslin Alway Say History Repeat
Its Self , Look Back At History, They Are Calling This The
The Third Jihad War!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Iran will given in from pressure from rest of world. Russia will play a bigger part because they do not trust Iran. The Turks distrust Iran more then they did Iraq. If things do come to a huge problem in Iran. We will not have to go it alone. You will see more support for our effort from Europe. Then the dumb ass way we handle Iraq. And yes Ray you are correct. Iran was always a bigger danger.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
the israeli`s did it in 1981....they zapped the french and german supplied Tammuz1 reactor after some speeches by saddam in which he threatened to destroy israel.....

if it had gone hot,they never could have taken it out...without the world coming down hard on them...

i wonder what would have happened had that reactor gone hot and saddam had been allowed to produce nuclear weapons?....

kuwait and possibly saudi arabia might just be iraqi provinces....and if the u.n. had decided to remove saddam from kuwait,we may have seen nukes thudding into israel during the gulf war instead of poorly guided scuds....with retaliation assured from the israelis...you`ve got a ptential world war on your hands...

as krauthamer said,n.korea is untouchable...now that they have the ability to wipe out japan and south korea.....

it stands to reason that THE WORLD should be interested in keeping wmd`s out of the hands of religious fanatics and tyrants...

particularly those that sit ona large portion of the world`s energy supply.......imo.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

auspice

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2001
Ohio
Gardenweasle

You wrote..."it stands to reason that THE WORLD should be interested in keeping wmd`s out of the hands of religious fanatics and tyrants..."
-------------------------
The world is interested in keeping wmd's out of the hands of religious fanatics and typrants but the Republicans are trying to get him re-elected anyhow.