Geographic Arbitrage

WhatsHisNuts

Woke
Forum Member
Aug 29, 2006
Earth
www.ffrf.org
Has anyone moved to a low cost state/country to reduce cost of living expenses to grow wealth faster or retire early? Are you planning on it?

Florida is always the place you hear about, but that's far from the only option. Several states have no state income tax and several countries have incentives to entice residency. With more and more people finding that they can work from just about anywhere, this seems to be gaining in popularity.

I'll post some videos on the topic for anyone interested.

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
I'd move in a second but my wife isn't moving away from the grand kids so that's out unless I want a second home. A 2nd home doesn't make much sense to me at my age.

I'm surprised you're not getting more participation in your threads here. I'm way past the retirement planning stages so I have nothing to add.

yyz

Under .500
Forum Member
Mar 16, 2000
On the course!
I'd move in a second but my wife isn't moving away from the grand kids so that's out unless I want a second home. A 2nd home doesn't make much sense to me at my age.

I'm surprised you're not getting more participation in your threads here. I'm way past the retirement planning stages so I have nothing to add.

Everyone here is loaded!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

WhatsHisNuts

Woke
Forum Member
Aug 29, 2006
Earth
www.ffrf.org

We've talked about a second home but there's no way I'm buying one in this kind of market and all it would do is delay my real goal, which is complete financial independence (ability to live current lifestyle off savings/investments).

I don't know why you'd ever say you have nothing to add. I'm just as interested in your feedback as I am anyone else that's either planning to retire, retired, capable of retiring but not, trying to turn their life around after bad decisions. Whatever. I think this stuff is fascinating. It doesn't matter how much money you make it matters what you do with it.

When you were looking at an apartment in Las Vegas, what do you learn? What were the pros and cons?

WhatsHisNuts

Woke
Forum Member
Aug 29, 2006
Earth
www.ffrf.org
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/HwBRgzBR0vY" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wyoming
Washington
Texas
Tennessee
South Dakota
New Hampshire
Nevada
Florida
Alaska

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

WhatsHisNuts

Woke
Forum Member
Aug 29, 2006
Earth
www.ffrf.org
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/npuTPCRk80k" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

10. Indiana
9. Michigan
8. Missouri
7. Tennessee
6. Georgia
5. Arkansas
4. Alabama
3. Oklahoma
2. Kansas
1. Mississippi

I'd consider Georgia or Tennessee, but that's pretty much it.

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
When you were looking at an apartment in Las Vegas, what do you learn? What were the pros and cons?
I had planned to go and look at a few small condos a month after our little outing down there at Steve's 2 years ago, but that idea ended with the Covid lockdown. When I started looking around again about 6 months ago I saw that prices had shot up on average of about 25%. WTF? Then I thought about renting and spending 6 months a year there to establish my residence in NV. That just doesn't work for me because renting would be adding expense to my budget even after the tax savings.

Fuck it, I'll just visit for 8-10 days a trip 2 or 3 times a year. I don't need any financial commitments at this stage of my life. That whole Vegas idea was just an excuse for me to spend more time out there which is probably a bad idea for me and my bad habits.

It would be a different story if I was in my 40's again.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
Top Poster Of Month
May 26, 2002
Canada
Has anyone moved to a low cost state/country to reduce cost of living expenses to grow wealth faster or retire early?

As mentioned previously on here.......my ex is doing just that.....

Can see her videos here if ya give a shit.........

https://www.youtube.com/user/LittleSpark75/videos

If you want info on living in Mexico/retire in Mexico/making cash in Mexico/etc/etc, she's the one to converse with. Oh and she just built a house there for like two dollars, ok a bit more then two dollars, but not by much.

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
Top Poster Of Month
May 26, 2002
Canada
I believe the Madjacker "pug" moved from the USA and now lives in Costa Rica.

WhatsHisNuts

Woke
Forum Member
Aug 29, 2006
Earth
www.ffrf.org
As mentioned previously on here.......my ex is doing just that.....

Can see her videos here if ya give a shit.........

https://www.youtube.com/user/LittleSpark75/videos

If you want info on living in Mexico/retire in Mexico/making cash in Mexico/etc/etc, she's the one to converse with. Oh and she just built a house there for like two dollars, ok a bit more then two dollars, but not by much.

Those videos are great. I'm rooting for her. :toast:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

WhatsHisNuts

Woke
Forum Member
Aug 29, 2006
Earth
www.ffrf.org
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ccXONGmfNg0" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>