Jontay Porter investigation (alleged player prop shenanigans)

EXTRAPOLATER

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2001
Toronto
I did a search on the site and it appears that nobody has commented on this yet. wiki tells me that it was March 25th that the NBA opened up this investigation. May be a topic for that forum, too, but this appears to be a good example of one of the few ways that players might be tempted to be involved in such crap.

Main part of story is this:

...the NBA is investigating him following multiple instances of betting irregularities, per reporting by ESPN. It stems from two specific games where there was massive action on the "under" of various Jontay Porter prop bets (under on points, rebounds, assists and 3-pointers). Porter then checked himself out early in both games, one because he self-reported an eye injury and another because he self-reported feeling sick. Both games therefore delivered payouts on the under for each category, and massive payouts for those bettors who built parlays on multiple categories all hitting.

I notice that the dates of the games in question aren't mentioned in above. I'd heard them early so searched same; Jan.26 and March 20th.

Probably not monster limits on his player props but a couple (or a couple-dozen) grand is still grand. To some.

Be interesting to hear more info on the bets that got red-flagged. I hope that comes out. VSIN dudes should be hopping on this story, I would think.

Whole world's going crazy. If the Iranian response triggers WWIII, it will obviously be due to a wag-the-dog conspiracy by the NBA. Might prevent Rice from missing the Chiefs' 3-peat, though. Maybe I need a vacation.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

yyz

Under .500
Forum Member
Mar 16, 2000
On the course!
Those same game parlays have huge payouts.

I just read a $5 eight leg parlay paid $278,000 last weekend. If you can sew up three or four legs on one guy, it would be a tremendous edge.

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
so nuts. porter has made nearly $2M/year the last 3 years. i don't know anything about this guy, so maybe he's a scrub that's close to being out of the league. still, how much would he need to be paid in this scheme to jeopardize a $2M contract? so you gotta pay him, then anyone else involved has to make their money. how the fuck do you expect to hit bets within 2 months of each other that are big enough to make this worthwhile... without getting noticed?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

pd1

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2001
missouri
so nuts. porter has made nearly $2M/year the last 3 years. i don't know anything about this guy, so maybe he's a scrub that's close to being out of the league. still, how much would he need to be paid in this scheme to jeopardize a $2M contract? so you gotta pay him, then anyone else involved has to make their money. how the fuck do you expect to hit bets within 2 months of each other that are big enough to make this worthwhile... without getting noticed?
I sure don’t know what is going on. He is from Columbia MO about 50 miles from me. His father coached at the D1 level, so I know he knows the rules. His older brother Michael won a championship with Denver. There is like 8 kids and they are all very good athletes. Guessing about an equal number of girls and boys, and they will all get good scholarships. Maybe he thought he could just make some easy money.

yyz

Under .500
Forum Member
Mar 16, 2000
On the course!
I sure don’t know what is going on. He is from Columbia MO about 50 miles from me. His father coached at the D1 level, so I know he knows the rules. His older brother Michael won a championship with Denver. There is like 8 kids and they are all very good athletes. Guessing about an equal number of girls and boys, and they will all get good scholarships. Maybe he thought he could just make some easy money.
It doesn't take much to get in to someone, either.

Last edited:

hedgehog

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 30, 2003
TX
He just needs an interpreter to blame like Shohei

I bet it happens more than you want to know, players taking dives. Been happening for many years.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
Top Poster Of Month
May 26, 2002
Canada

hedgehog

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 30, 2003
TX