MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
I thought about buying more BTC and ETH myself. The ETH I have has gone up in the last couple years, I sold enough to get out whole and left the rest 3-4 years back, I have never sold any of my BTC after buying when it was 790 per BTC, don't want to pay the taxes lol

I dipped my toes in some weed stocks a couple years back hoping it would be legal federally soon with the dems in charge, they let me down big time so far

May be worth looking into AI stocks too

Right! I think BTC will go back down before the halving and then I could buy back in cheaper but I don't want to pay the taxes either. I'll just hold and hold thru all the dips and pumps. I'm always buying so the averaging in helps.

WhatsHisNuts

Woke
Forum Member
Aug 29, 2006
Earth
www.ffrf.org
I dipped my toes in some weed stocks a couple years back hoping it would be legal federally soon with the dems in charge, they let me down big time so far

May be worth looking into AI stocks too

I lost a bunch on weed stocks, too. It was one of the best lessons I ever learned on speculation.

As far as AI goes, I think the best/safest route is to stick with the big names. Google and Microsoft aren't going anywhere and I'd bet they'll be gobbling up the smaller players that make any waves or have the upside they need.

hedgehog

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 30, 2003
TX
I lost a bunch on weed stocks, too. It was one of the best lessons I ever learned on speculation.

As far as AI goes, I think the best/safest route is to stick with the big names. Google and Microsoft aren't going anywhere and I'd bet they'll be gobbling up the smaller players that make any waves or have the upside they need.
bingo, I have plenty of Microsoft and Google in my mutual funds. My dad and I had the same convo a few days ago about AI stocks.

Yeah, I lost my ass on MJ stocks, lol. Still haven't sold them yet, just let it ride. Maybe the feds get it legalized in the next couple of years.

I may jump in and buy some BUD now that its been beat way down.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
a solid AI company is NVDA. the stock is up a ton recently, but they make the chips that everybody wants/needs. probably their biggest risk is if china actually invades taiwan.

WhatsHisNuts

Woke
Forum Member
Aug 29, 2006
Earth
www.ffrf.org
a solid AI company is NVDA. the stock is up a ton recently, but they make the chips that everybody wants/needs. probably their biggest risk is if china actually invades taiwan.
The landscape is going to get interesting in the chip wars. Under the Chips Act, TSMC and Intel have started construction projects in the USA for massive facilities. I used to own NVDA, Intel and AMD stock but have since shed it for the stuff I listed earlier in this thread.

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
The landscape is going to get interesting in the chip wars. Under the Chips Act, TSMC and Intel have started construction projects in the USA for massive facilities. I used to own NVDA, Intel and AMD stock but have since shed it for the stuff I listed earlier in this thread.
well, speaking of the chip wars and the new factories being built... another personal favorite that i just learned about last year (and is, somehow, up 85% in nearly a year) is ASML. they make the only machines capable of making the most advanced chips. talk about a legal monopoly!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

WhatsHisNuts

Woke
Forum Member
Aug 29, 2006
Earth
www.ffrf.org
My recap for the year using the original post categories:

EXPENSE TRACKING
  • No major changes compared to previous years. I'll keep at this so I can run reports at year end for comparison purposes.
BUDGET
  • Now that I have a few years data in place and nothing significant changing (except income), I think the budgeting is done.
EMERGENCY FUND
  • Between my wife and I, we have maintained more than 1 year's expenses in cash.
HSA/MEDICAL
  • Maxed out and still paying out of pocket for medical. Saving receipts for future distributions. The investment account has really taken off :)
  • My wife and I started off only contributing the minimum to get the company matches ($0.50/$1 up to 6%) but I have recently bumped mine back up to 10%. Psychological thing after comparing old pay checks.
  • Performance this year was great
ROTH IRA
  • Still not eligible and Roth conversions don't make much sense at this time.
IRA (existing accounts)
  • I greatly underperformed the S&P 500 (imagine that). The REITs got their asses kicked and led to a less than spectacular 11% return. I'll keep with the current lineup and let the dividends reinvest in the REITs.
DEFERRED COMP
  • My wife has this benefit and the investments within it did really well. She's going to keep hammering this as it will be a big part of our early retirement strategy.
COMPANY STOCK PURCHASE PLAN
  • My wife has this benefit and she started pumping cash into it.
SERIES I BONDS
  • Bought more in January and now, with inflation receding, I need to find a way out and put this money elsewhere (T Bills or HYSA)
BROKERAGE ACCOUNTS
  • Added a nice chunk to our brokerage accounts this year.
  • Didn't add anything to the Fundrise account, which is getting its ass kicked. Oh well. It's a long term investment (Real Estate).
RENTAL PROPERTY
  • Changed gears when part of my financing plan took a turn for the worse. I was using a HELOC to self finance a portion of the remaining loan balance when the interest rate soared to 8.5%. Paid off the HELOC with cash from savings but have left the original mortgage in place, paying it off on the regular schedule.
TAXES
  • Paid quarterly as usual.
  • Not much opportunity for tax loss harvesting other than losses I ate earlier in the year when I moved stuff around slightly.

Financially speaking, another year like 2023 and would be a dream come true. CHEERS!

Reactions: Smitty