Stu Marquis RIP

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Hudson Valley area.....NY
Last night went out to dinner with my 10 racquetball buddies and their wives I didn't want to look at my texts because Stu a former VietNam vet Providence College, North Texas St D-1 player was in hospice and refused to eat and was shutting down / He passed away yesterday afternoon. I think back about our college days. He was close to Dave Cowen and Rudy Tom of the Celtics and Rockets. He was from Seekconk, RI. and played one year at Providence. Then was drafted into the Army his sophomore year Prov.. After coming back North Texas offered a full scholarship , He played at North Texas for 2 years then coached at Eastern new Mexico and Southeast OK st in Durant Ok . He told Dave Cowens about me and I worked Cowens summer camp for 3 years I was offered to work Basketball camp at West Point but liked working at Regis College in Mass.
After he graduated North Texas he moved to Austin Texas. When my daughter decided to attend U Texas in Austin stu and his wife picked her up at the airport and took her in for a few days before the dorms opened . He got Judy Congradt the Texas womans coach and interview and went with her. Judy knew Stu and told them that although Sarah is 6'2 she is a post player. Texas has gds thta are 6'2. But Judy said that Her friend was the coach of Rice and she could play for them. Anyway Stu was an integral part of my daughters recruitment of Rice.
Stu's brother was an Off line men at Tulsa . My daughter decided to attend Texas knowing she had offers to play at Rice St Bonnie, Army Marist and a few more . But she had something her father never had " Brains" She graduated UT and after 16 years is teaching here in Austin now. I have been thinking about Stu the past few days and imagine him shooting his turn around jumper . He has more "ups " because he has 2 wings keeping him more air borne Rest in peace Stu hopefully we will all meet again in those clouds . You taught me so much down here about coaching and techniques . St Peter I'm sure has you coaching some angels up there Thank you so much . At your wedding in New Hampshire I did eat about 3 or 4 lobster tails even though there was a sign saying " please take one only" . I'm reading all those messages and texts about you You had a big time influence on my life and will always look up in those clouds and think of you Rest in peace

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Hudson Valley area.....NY
My daughter here in Austin just called . She is very upset about Stu and said she remembers 15 yrs ago she landed in Austin and Stu and his wife were at the airport to meet her. She was alone and scared coming to Texas where she knew no one and Stu and Sheila made the transition so easy and comfortable . I do remember her calling from Texas and was relieved she wasn't by herself and Stu would get her settled in . My daughter said they took her out to eat and sarah stayed over a few nites at their house her 1st year at UT. I had forgotten about that. When Sarah had freshmen orientation at the football stadium Ricky Williams was a junior and welcomed the incoming freshmen class. Stu would always tell the story about my daughter and her orientation . How she learned the song " eyes of Texas " that she hates aggies and doesn't even know what an aggie is . It was nice tonight talking to her tonight and listening to her memories of Stu and sheila . I know as parents we felt she wasn't alone in Austin . Anyway thank you Stu up there and have great memories . Now you are no longer in pain and left an impact on all of us.. Peace

Reactions: freelancc