Who makes their own Dry Rubs?

Sportsaholic

Jack's Mentor
Forum Member
Jan 18, 2000
Crustacean Nation
Looking for something new for the Grill this summer..............Whatcha got :popcorn2

Looking for Homemade Recipe not store bought...........

PocketAces

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 30, 2003
WI
Here is one I stole from www.smokingmeatforums.com

1 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
1 tablespoon Coarse black pepper
1 tablespoon Coarse Sea salt
2 tablespoon garlic powder
2 tablespoon onion powder
1 teaspoon cayenne

And I add in:
2 tablespoons of cumin
2 tablespoons of chili powder

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Lumi

LOKI
Forum Member
Aug 30, 2002
In the shadows
kickserv should stumble in here soon and declare that this is the wrong forum

Garlic, Garlic, Garlic ! KEY INGREDIENT ! :0008

Sportsaholic

Jack's Mentor
Forum Member
Jan 18, 2000
Crustacean Nation
Blackened Fish Seasoning

1 Tbsp Paprika
2 1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Oregano, dried
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
3/4 tsp White Pepper
3/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Thyme, dried

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
Blackened Fish Seasoning

1 Tbsp Paprika
2 1/2 tsp Salt
1 tsp Onion Powder
1 tsp Garlic Powder
1/2 tsp Oregano, dried
1 tsp Cayenne Pepper
3/4 tsp White Pepper
3/4 tsp Black Pepper
1/2 tsp Thyme, dried

I thought you were looking for something new, not advertising yours. :0003

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

fatdaddycool

Chi-TownHustler
Forum Member
Mar 26, 2001
Fort Worth TX usa
Roast 5 large garlic cloves. Remove from the skin and put in a food processor. Add fresh Rosemary, about a quarter cup, turn on processor and drizzle in olive oil until emulsified. Fold in fresh oregano, basil, thyme, nutmeg, white and black pepper, kosher salt, and cayenne pepper to taste. Add a small amount of mushroom sauce from Lea and Perrins but not too much as to lose the pasty consistency. You should have a pale paste.

Using the back of a small cleaver if smoking brisket, or large piece of meat, tenderize. Make a foil bed and place some of the rub in the middle, place meat on top and cover the rest of it with the rub. Take thinly sliced vidalia onions if available and cover top of meat, close foil tightly and poke a small hole in top. Smoke or roast to taste, uncovering the last half hour to crisp up crust and seal in juices.

one tip though, if smoking pork or roasting too, I add a small gala or washington apple cut in half on top of pork roast. If roasting a chicken, stuff a lemon or orange in the cavity prior to roasting.

Thank me later.

Hope that helps,
FDC

ps. be careful when slicing as it will be very juicy and tender. Chicken will fall apart so take care when removing from grill.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Sportsaholic

Jack's Mentor
Forum Member
Jan 18, 2000
Crustacean Nation
Roast 5 large garlic cloves. Remove from the skin and put in a food processor. Add fresh Rosemary, about a quarter cup, turn on processor and drizzle in olive oil until emulsified. Fold in fresh oregano, basil, thyme, nutmeg, white and black pepper, kosher salt, and cayenne pepper to taste. Add a small amount of mushroom sauce from Lea and Perrins but not too much as to lose the pasty consistency. You should have a pale paste.

Using the back of a small cleaver if smoking brisket, or large piece of meat, tenderize. Make a foil bed and place some of the rub in the middle, place meat on top and cover the rest of it with the rub. Take thinly sliced vidalia onions if available and cover top of meat, close foil tightly and poke a small hole in top. Smoke or roast to taste, uncovering the last half hour to crisp up crust and seal in juices.

one tip though, if smoking pork or roasting too, I add a small gala or washington apple cut in half on top of pork roast. If roasting a chicken, stuff a lemon or orange in the cavity prior to roasting.

Thank me later.

Hope that helps,
FDC

ps. be careful when slicing as it will be very juicy and tender. Chicken will fall apart so take care when removing from grill.

Interesting, always use Apple Juice Spray when smoking meats....never thought to apple slices on while cooking :0008

fatdaddycool

Chi-TownHustler
Forum Member
Mar 26, 2001
Fort Worth TX usa
Interesting, always use Apple Juice Spray when smoking meats....never thought to apple slices on while cooking :0008

I would only halve them. If you slice them up they will dry up too fast. The red delicious do not work as well as they are not as dense as the gala or even a granny smith.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

krc

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2002
Texas

Thank me later.

Hope that helps,
FDC

I am going to have to try this :0074

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Cricket

sporadic wins
Forum Member
Nov 25, 2005
WNY
Try mixing in ground coffee in your rubs. it tenderises and really gives a nice charred look. Bitterness disapears when grilled.