a documentary called startup.com

selkirk

Forum Member
Jul 16, 1999
Canada
every year in Toronto there is a Documentary festival, it is the largest in North America with over 80 films. over 11000 indsustry delegates from 25 countries come to the event. there is a 2 day forum on co-financing and production.

I enjoy documentaries to me a great documentary destroys the so called "Reality TV" (garbage) that is now on television. it is real life.

anyways the festival ran from April 30 to May 6 in Toronto so I missed it.

however the opening film was Startup.com a documentary about friends who start up a internet company and see their rise and their fall. I saw just two previews and a trailer (it looked great), and a friend said it was a good picture. they shot over 400 hours of film and got it down to just under 2 hours.

the people behind this did the War Room the documentary about the re-election bid of Bill Clinton (back room), also a widely praised film.

anyways if you have a chance probably at your video store (hopefully) be on the look out for the War Room and especially Startup.com

thanks
selkirk

Anders

Bandit
Forum Member
Dec 17, 2000
New Zealand
Thanks Selkirk; keen to check this out..
Like you; can't stomach the amount of "Reality TV" we're force fed, thank christ for the off switch..
TV for the lowest common denominator
biggrin.gif

dawgball

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
selkirk

Sounds very interesting since I am living that scenario now. Hopefully, we will have a happier ending to our story, though. We have survived for 3 1/2 years so far.

I agree on the Reality TV. What's the O/U on when the network comes out with Survivor I VS. Survivor II Challenge? The sad thing is that America will tune in in record numbers.

------------------
Sic 'em
dawgball

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

selkirk

Forum Member
Jul 16, 1999
Canada
anders and Dawgball I think we are in the minority for our dislike of Reality based television. truth is, it is not based on reality. more like soap operas, they are in general cheap to produce and some get great ratings.

Survivor vs. Survivor II that would be a nightmare, they would hype the hell out of it.

I have some other documentaries on tape that I will probably list (collect films). most have to do with business or life in general and are great films.

Dawgball good luck with the company. I have been involved in a few (not internet) ventures and often there are incredible highs and lows.

by the way the film may goes into wide realease so you may also see it at a theatre near you (for about a week, most of these films do not have the marketing budget as mainstream hollywood films, that often spend more on marketing than on the actual film, it ussually works though for the studio).

thanks
selkirk

dawgball

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
My favorite movie last year was a independent comedy "American Movie", it is a semi-documentary of a guy trying to making a feature film. It is incredibly funny and real. Check it out.

------------------
Sic 'em
dawgball

Anders

Bandit
Forum Member
Dec 17, 2000
New Zealand
Selkirk - just found out that the doco is coming to my hometown in the film festival shortly. Off to get my ticket now
cool.gif

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

selkirk

Forum Member
Jul 16, 1999
Canada
looking forward to your review Anders, we have a small film festival up here but only about 14-20 films at most.

Rented American movie from Blockbuster did not have to time to watch it though, will try again next week.

thankss
selkirk

Anders

Bandit
Forum Member
Dec 17, 2000
New Zealand
Will let u know Selkirk. Heaps of films I want to see - I'm a sucker for a good French film or a gritty English drama - but the ticket prices plus babysitter fees soon mount up
eek.gif

Best doco I saw a year or two back was Noam Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent" - a true eye-opener.

selkirk

Forum Member
Jul 16, 1999
Canada
Anders I will have to check out Noam Chomsky's "Manufacturing Consent". I have about a dozen doucmentaries on tape, but looking to find a few more I saw.
will soon get the War Room here is a small list of some others that were good.

the Fame Game: how the media is played to cover events (celebrities,etc)

Eboli 1 and 2= these documentaries made by a Canadian, the film outbreak was loosly based on the first one. First one was about the virus being in California in the late 80 (1987 I believe) also funny.??

15 days in May= about capital punishment

Edmund Fitzgerald= show it on TV (twice a year) about the ship that sank in the 70s during a brutal storm in Lake Superior. I live close to the lake so I can relate.

Record Collection (collectors)= about people who collect records (people who are obsessed with collecting (70,000 records,ect)

Time is one my side= about what happens to you after you die, actually pretty funny. the hairdresser who fell in love while preparing the bodies still scares me.

The bribe or the bullet= about corruption at high levels in the Mexican government, there is one cop there that they should make a movie on, tough and honest, most of his friends are dead.

Australia= This is about a mayor race in Australia, forgot the city (population 120,000) the back stabbing and the bickering. Well done.

thanks
selkirk

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg