Ambassador Susan Rice: Libya Attack Not Premeditated

Skulnik

Truth Teller
Forum Member
Mar 30, 2007
22,273
1,440
113
Jefferson City, Missouri
Ambassador Susan Rice: Libya Attack Not Premeditated

<CITE class="byline vcard">By Jake Tapper | ABC OTUS News ? <ABBR title=2012-09-16T14:11:27Z>5 hrs ago</ABBR></CITE>




ABC OTUS News - Ambassador Susan Rice: Libya Attack Not Premeditated (ABC News)

<!-- START article --><!-- yog-5u -->

U.S. Ambassador to the United Nations Susan Rice said the attack on the American consulate in Benghazi was not premeditated, directly contradicting top Libyan officials who say the attack was planned in advance.
"Our current best assessment, based on the information that we have at present, is that, in fact, what this began as, it was a spontaneous - not a premeditated - response to what had transpired in Cairo," Rice told me this morning on "This Week."
"In Cairo, as you know, a few hours earlier, there was a violent protest that was undertaken in reaction to this very offensive video that was disseminated," Rice said, referring to protests in Egypt Tuesday over a film that depicts the Prophet Muhammad as a fraud. Protesters in Cairo breached the walls of the U.S. American Embassy, tearing apart an American flag.
"We believe that folks in Benghazi, a small number of people came to the embassy to - or to the consulate, rather, to replicate the sort of challenge that was posed in Cairo," Rice said. "And then as that unfolded, it seems to have been hijacked, let us say, by some individual clusters of extremists who came with heavier weapons? And it then evolved from there."
Ambassador Christopher Stevens, along with three other Americans, were killed in Libya following the assault on the American consulate in Benghazi, on the 11 th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks. Rice said the FBI is examining the attack, saying their investigation "will tell us with certainty what transpired."
Rice's account directly contradicts that of Libyan President Mohamed Yousef El-Magariaf, who said this weekend that he had "no doubt" the attack was pre-planned by individuals from outside Libya.
"It was planned, definitely, it was planned by foreigners, by people who entered the country a few months ago, and they were planning this criminal act since their arrival," told CBS News.
Rice said there were no Marines present to protect the consulate in Libya, saying the U.S. presence there is "relatively new" since the revolution that overthrew former dictator Moammar Gadhafi.
"There are not Marines in every facility. That depends on the circumstances. That depends on the requirements," Rice said. "Our presence in Tripoli, as in Benghazi, is relatively new, as you will recall. We've been back post-revolution only for a matter of months."
But Rice said there was a "substantial security presence" at the consulate in Benghazi, noting that two of the four Americans killed there were providing security.
"We certainly are aware that Libya is a place where there have been increasingly some violent incidents," Rice said. "The security personnel that the State Department thought were required were in place? It obviously didn't prove sufficient to the - the nature of the attack and sufficient in that - in that moment."
"But the president has been very clear. The protection of American personnel and facilities is and will remain our top priority," Rice added. "That's why we've reinforced our presence in Tripoli and elsewhere."
 

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
42,564
315
83
Victory Lane
WASHINGTON -- Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) said he suspects last week's attacks on the American consulate in Benghazi, Libya were planned in advance and weren't prompted by protests over an obscure anti-Muslim film produced in the U.S.

"Most people don't bring rocket-propelled grenades and heavy weapons to demonstrations. That was an act of terror," McCain said during an appearance on "Face the Nation."

"For anyone to disagree with that fundamental fact, I think, is really ignoring the facts," he said.

McCain, who is the top Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee, also disputed that the film was what sparked the demonstrations Tuesday in Libya and Egypt. Protests and violence have since broken out outside of U.S. embassies in more than a dozen other countries in the Middle East and North Africa.

"Let's point out, this wasn't a video that caused this. It's a fight, a struggle in the Arab world between the Islamists and the forces of moderation," he said. "Look, one of our fundamentals [is] freedom of speech, and that's what the Arab Spring was about. To bring about an end to the censorship by their government."

McCain isn't the only high-ranking Republican saying the recent violence in the Middle East isn't about the film. During an appearance on "Fox News Sunday," House Intelligence Committee Chairman Mike Rogers (R-Mich.) called it a "serious mistake" to reach that conclusion.
................................................................

:0074
 
Bet on MyBookie
Top