Army- Navy

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Hudson Valley area.....NY
Game is in Boston,not philly... No Coach NIUmataoloa both teams no post season with 5-6 records but Army can win the CIC trophy since it beat Air force. Army did away with triple option this year and went to shot gun. It didn't work since they had a losing season. Navy fired NIU-aola and also passes more. The series goes way back the under in this game always wins.. But Monken the Army coach has won 5 of last 7 and last week vs Coastal they rushed for over 350 yds. I think Monken surprises Navy today and throws in some triple option . Army has a solid qb in Dailey and Navys QB Airline has played in this game the past 3 years, The over-under is a low 29.5 The game is in New England where the weather today is nice.
Army and Navy are wearing new uniforms ,new helmets new decals etc. Army has won 3 in a row and navy has lost 2 of last 3. Army uniforms are wearing the 3rd Infantry " dogface" uniforms and Navy wearing there submarine " Silent" uniforms.

Army -3 ****
I think Monken surprises Navy with more triple option offense . Since Monken has arrived at the Point he has won. Navy owned Army from 2002 to 2015 winning most of those games. Army has Riley who can break a big run and also have full back Buchanan who has never lost a yard ever{ I think} for a loss. The under is automatic but just maybe this year it goes over. The ats record under is unreal in this game. The reason this game is being played in the Patriots staduim is to celebrate the Boston Tea Party Its 250 years anniversary.. Last yr Army won on a overtime FG 20-17.. But even if there is no Paul Revere warning the towns people " the British are coming " think they could be saying " The dog face soldiers are coming" from the 3rd Infantry"

Reactions: WildBillPicks7

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
This is a tough game to handicapp The teams know each other so well . Its really about Ball control and time of possession..the under is so low yet its the most popular and winning play . Navy is coming off a blowout loss to SMU and Army surprised Coastal running the ball a lot. The game has been moved to Boston and Navy will be wearing their dark blue" silent " submarine uniforms. Army wearing the " dogface" brown " uniforms. Both teams played Air force where Army beat them and Navy lost to them But Navy Def held AF rushing attack to under 3.0 yds per carry. Living almost my entire life near the Point and working summer camps there I am going to lean with the cadets. Think both academies have their pranks vs each other but a few got out of hand. Both commanders of the academy cleaned up their act somewhat. My favorite was a few yrs back Army cadets kidnapped the navy goat ,dyed it pink and came on the field with it. My all time favorite was Army posted the D-day invasion with actual real footage from 1944. Navy responded with " how do you think you guys got to the shore of Normandy . It was Navy that delivered you guys".. The rivalry is 134 years old.. But at the end of the game and season they are all on the same team ready to give their lives for each other. Each academy has 2 or 3 cadets,airman and sailor at each others schools during the year. Its an exchange program for one year. These guys are tormented all year because they wear there uniform to all classes.
Good luck The play is the under but I can't play it. Go Army sink Navy

Reactions: boomer1

Mdbasketball

Registered
Forum Member
Dec 22, 2019
This is a tough game to handicapp The teams know each other so well . Its really about Ball control and time of possession..the under is so low yet its the most popular and winning play . Navy is coming off a blowout loss to SMU and Army surprised Coastal running the ball a lot. The game has been moved to Boston and Navy will be wearing their dark blue" silent " submarine uniforms. Army wearing the " dogface" brown " uniforms. Both teams played Air force where Army beat them and Navy lost to them But Navy Def held AF rushing attack to under 3.0 yds per carry. Living almost my entire life near the Point and working summer camps there I am going to lean with the cadets. Think both academies have their pranks vs each other but a few got out of hand. Both commanders of the academy cleaned up their act somewhat. My favorite was a few yrs back Army cadets kidnapped the navy goat ,dyed it pink and came on the field with it. My all time favorite was Army posted the D-day invasion with actual real footage from 1944. Navy responded with " how do you think you guys got to the shore of Normandy . It was Navy that delivered you guys".. The rivalry is 134 years old.. But at the end of the game and season they are all on the same team ready to give their lives for each other. Each academy has 2 or 3 cadets,airman and sailor at each others schools during the year. Its an exchange program for one year. These guys are tormented all year because they wear there uniform to all classes.
Good luck The play is the under but I can't play it. Go Army sink Navy
I lost $2,000 last year on the under.so painful. The game was so under. They could not score for 4 quarters and then in OT they score at will. Such a bad beat. So I am okay with watching this one.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

TouchdownJesus

Forum Member
Jun 13, 2004
North Carolina
Mdbasketball I know what you mean. I hate taking college Unders for a lot of reasons but overtime is one of them. It's not as bad as it used to be but they can score a lot of points even in 2 overtimes as well as the stupid 2-point conversion nonsense. I hate college OT in general and I'm in the minority but I have no problem w a tie. If there's going to be an overtime, at least play the same game though (field position, punting, etc). But yeah, you could literally have a field possession game end 3-3 and then each team basically has the ball in the red zone and in field goal range. I will occasionally take a college Under but it's rare.

Box, good write ups as always. I don't know a lot about either team this year but thought that Army would be favored by more just going off the common opponent of Air Force. For that reason I'm leaning Navy and the points but haven't taken anything yet. And, the conspiracy theorist in me remembers a few weeks ago when Bobby Knight died that all 3 of his teams won including Army who was an 18-point underdog to Air Force. A bit of a stretch to add but an Ohio State QB had a 5-touchdown game for the Texans that same weekend. I never knew Knight played for Ohio State til that weekend lol. Just some ramblings. Good luck to you both. Should be a fun game and I'm also leaning Over but ugh....not sure yet lol

Reactions: Mdbasketball

TouchdownJesus

Forum Member
Jun 13, 2004
North Carolina
Glad I bought the point. I knew that safety was coming as soon as they said there was still time left.

I have a lot of respect for both teams but hey Army can you not lay on people to try and run clock. Also, and I know other teams do it, but the lazy substitutions to force delay of game. It's pretty shitty no matter who does it.

I thought the sneak on the last play was a good call. I never saw what happened that made them stop the clock w 11 seconds other than the ball got away. i wonder who that helped more. Originally I thought Navy but afterwards I was thinking maybe it helped Army to set their D. Either way a great stop. Only reason I thought it was a good play from that far out is b/c as much as I hate it they're allowed to push so they had a good chance.

So many mistakes by Navy, most were pre-snap penalties and of course the uncovered WR (FB) on the touchdown. Not sure how that happens and then while watching the replay, the guy played it well but for some reason he takes his eye off the ball that's in mid-air and looks to the man and thus misses what looked like a sure pass deflection. I think it was 1st down can't remember but there's a good chance Army scores there anyway, just not sure about a lot of things on that play. Also don't know why Navy went for 2 when they could have cut it to 7. Still one possession but why go for it there?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Knight did play at Ohio St and Jerry Lucas was his teammate. Lucas was traded to the Knicks at the end of his career He would take a hook shot 20 feet out from the baseline and hit it. I have never seen anyone ever even take that shot yet alone hit it.
Enjoyed the Army-Navy game esp since I won , I passed on the under but it hit again. Navy made some strange plays but the Cadets came out with the win and more importantly the cover.. At my HS we had a top notch wrestler who wrestled for Army. I met him at a football game and he told me almost 1/4 of all the cadets in the dorms are forced to attend the home football games.. Many would rather not attend and study or have some free time on a saturday afternoon. The wrestling coach also had to change his practice schedule because of Sat afternoons games.
I worked 3-4 years at their baseball and basketball summer camp. WE stayed in the dorms and ate with the cadets. Unreal meals You sit and the waiters bring you your food. Thursday night is steak night. They serve the head of the table and he passes the bowls and plates down Think there is 8-10 at each table. Its family style.. The cadets eat well.. Almost all the cooks at the Point know me because I coached against their kids in HS in basketball. Highland Falls HS serves all the support staff at the Point. They always had great HS teams because every year they would get transfers from all over A colonel or major stationed in Germany would get transferred to the Point so his kids could play HS basketball in America . H Falls was in my conference so I played them 2 times every year. And I was one of the few schools to beat them.Their coach JK made the NY hall of fame and think was maybe .500 vs them .anyway just some stories about the Point Glad Army won today though

Reactions: TouchdownJesus

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
Box I saw Wilt hit a hook in the 1967 NBA All-Star

Courtside seats on Press Row Cow Palace
Friend and I snuck in as the rodeo people pulling trailers out the gate from the nite before
We hid in the nose bleeds til folks starting coming in .
Being young 17 and stupid we sat on Press Row waiting on somebody to toss us .
Newspaper reporter next to us says the reporters for those 2 seats ain't going to make it.
Don't act stupid watch the game...Still the biggest thrill "live" in my life.

ALL-STAR GAME ROSTERS
Eastern Conference

Oscar Robertson (Cincinnati Royals)

Hal Greer (Philadelphia 76ers)

Wilt Chamberlain (Philadelphia 76ers)

Willis Reed (New York Knicks)

Bailey Howell (Boston Celtics)

Bill Russell (Boston Celtics)

John Havlicek (Boston Celtics)

Don Ohl (Baltimore Bullets)

Chet Walker (Philadelphia 76ers)

Jerry Lucas (Cincinnati Royals)

East: Red Auerbach (Boston Celtics)

Western Conference

Jerry West (L.A. Lakers)

Rick Barry (San Francisco Warriors)

Nate Thurmond (San Francisco Warriors)

Guy Rodgers (Chicago Bulls)

Elgin Baylor (L.A. Lakers)

Darrall Imhoff (L.A. Lakers)

Dave DeBusschere (Detroit Pistons)

Jerry Sloan (Chicago Bulls)

Bill Bridges (St. Louis Hawks)

Lenny Wilkens (St. Louis Hawks)

Coach: Fred Schaus (L.A. Lakers)

Reactions: TouchdownJesus
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
old school aging is really tough I hate seeing the obit page in my local paper and seeing all these people I knew ,Taught with coached against,officated vs them etc pass away. I know our time is getting closer and closer and now when you have procedures that you google it makes things even scarier . The hook shot I have never seen anymore The last person was Kareem and that was a baby hook near the basket. But Jerry would take a 20 ft baseline hook shot and swish it. He also took a nice jumper from there too. Great form with amazing follow thru

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg