Arturo Thunder Gatti has passed away

Oddessa

Forum Member
Jun 22, 2003
CBC News
Former world boxing champion Arturo Gatti, who was raised in Montreal, has been found dead in northeastern Brazil.

On a second honeymoon with his wife and 10-month-old baby, Gatti's blood-stained body was found in an apartment in Porto de Galinhas, Brazilian police say.

A police investigation is underway, but few details are being released. Foul play is suspected in the death.

Gatti's body was found at around 6 a.m. Saturday morning. He was found in his underwear, with blood stains on his neck and the back of his head.

Nicknamed "Thunder," Gatti was one of the most successful Canadian boxers in history. Beginning his professional career in 1991 at age 19, he scored a third-round knockout in his first bout.

Three years later he captured the United States Boxing Association junior lightweight title and successfully defended it twice. He earned the International Boxing Federation's world junior lightweight title the following year.

Born in Italy but raised in Montreal, the 37-year-old Gatti retired two years ago.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2009/07/11/gatt-dead.html

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kegray1

Benneteau fan
Forum Member
Nov 4, 2004
Houston
And I wouldn't say he passed away.
More like he was murdered. Police say probably foul play and bleeding from the head.
Sounds like a break in gone wrong.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Romi

Forum Member
Apr 6, 2007
What a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE loss. He was one of greatest entertaining action fighters I've ever seen. Gatti/Ward I was one of my all time favorites. RIP CHAMP.
final 10 count :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
What a TERRIBLE TERRIBLE loss. He was one of greatest entertaining action fighters I've ever seen. Gatti/Ward I was one of my all time favorites. RIP CHAMP.
final 10 count :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

hbo should do something for the gatti family...they made their bones off gatti for a fair stretch there......

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Oddessa

Forum Member
Jun 22, 2003
And I wouldn't say he passed away.
More like he was murdered. Police say probably foul play and bleeding from the head.
Sounds like a break in gone wrong.

thanx..... I'll be more precise next time I post a heartbreaking and tragic death of a great human being.

weepaul

Forum Member
Sep 28, 2007
RIP Arturo!!!

Thanks for the memories!!!

I HATE hearing shit like this :mad:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Zerwas

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2007
thats sad news.

I have never been a huge gatti fun, but he sure was a likeable guy and a true warrior! :(

kegray1

Benneteau fan
Forum Member
Nov 4, 2004
Houston
thanx..... I'll be more precise next time I post a heartbreaking and tragic death of a great human being.

Sorry didn't mean it in a bad way towards your post.
I had not heard the news and was like aw man don't tell me he over dosed or something.
To me being murdered is different than passing away.

Sad news.
Looks like they were both jealous people which is never a good thing in love.
Sounds like she strangled him with her purse.
He must have been really drunk to get over powered by a 23 year old woman.

Last edited:

Kramden

Forum Member
Apr 8, 2008
Yeah, wife is now a suspect. I just heard she is being held.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Oddessa

Forum Member
Jun 22, 2003
Sorry didn't mean it in a bad way towards your post.
I had not heard the news and was like aw man don't tell me he over dosed or something.
To me being murdered is different than passing away.

No harm no foul.

I was just little over emotional because I knew him and his family dating back to 1994 at the Friar Tuck inn , in NYS..

I was a little rattled and really didnt know how to word the title. When I saw other news reports just saying he was 'dead', I felt hurt, shocked , and the writers seemed incensitive and morbid.
Not embarrrassed to say I was I holding back some tears. I can say of every boxer I ever had pleasure of meeting and hanging out with, Arturo and brother Joe Gatti were 2 of the nicest people I had pleasure of knowing. Sorry for coming on strong, I was still in shock. They broke the mold of fighters with heart and charisma after AG. May Arturo RIP.

Peace guys.

-JO

kegray1

Benneteau fan
Forum Member
Nov 4, 2004
Houston
Sorry for your loss.
He had a huge following which means he was doing things right both in and out of the ring and was always game in any fight even late in his career when he was over matched.
I never heard any negative press on this guy until his problems with this woman. That seems pretty rare in sports these days.