Blitzkrieg Plans for Iran?

Dead Money

Registered User
Forum Member
Sep 15, 2005
4,350
64
0
Upstairs watching sports on the big TV.
The Sunday TimesSeptember 2, 2007

Pentagon ?three-day blitz? plan for IranSarah Baxter, Washington
THE Pentagon has drawn up plans for massive airstrikes against 1,200 targets in Iran, designed to annihilate the Iranians? military capability in three days, according to a national security expert.

Alexis Debat, director of terrorism and national security at the Nixon Center, said last week that US military planners were not preparing for ?pinprick strikes? against Iran?s nuclear facilities. ?They?re about taking out the entire Iranian military,? he said.

Debat was speaking at a meeting organised by The National Interest, a conservative foreign policy journal. He told The Sunday Times that the US military had concluded: ?Whether you go for pinprick strikes or all-out military action, the reaction from the Iranians will be the same.? It was, he added, a ?very legitimate strategic calculus?.

President George Bush intensified the rhetoric against Iran last week, accusing Tehran of putting the Middle East ?under the shadow of a nuclear holocaust?. He warned that the US and its allies would confront Iran ?before it is too late?.

Related Links
Hardliner takes over Revolutionary Guards
One Washington source said the ?temperature was rising? inside the administration. Bush was ?sending a message to a number of audiences?, he said ? to the Iranians and to members of the United Nations security council who are trying to weaken a tough third resolution on sanctions against Iran for flouting a UN ban on uranium enrichment.

The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) last week reported ?significant? cooperation with Iran over its nuclear programme and said that uranium enrichment had slowed. Tehran has promised to answer most questions from the agency by November, but Washington fears it is stalling to prevent further sanctions. Iran continues to maintain it is merely developing civilian nuclear power.

Bush is committed for now to the diplomatic route but thinks Iran is moving towards acquiring a nuclear weapon. According to one well placed source, Washington believes it would be prudent to use rapid, overwhelming force, should military action become necessary.

Israel, which has warned it will not allow Iran to acquire nuclear weapons, has made its own preparations for airstrikes and is said to be ready to attack if the Americans back down.

Alireza Jafarzadeh, a spokesman for the National Council of Resistance of Iran, which uncovered the existence of Iran?s uranium enrichment plant at Natanz, said the IAEA was being strung along. ?A number of nuclear sites have not even been visited by the IAEA,? he said. ?They?re giving a clean bill of health to a regime that is known to have practised deception.?

Mahmoud Ahmadinejad, the Iranian president, irritated the Bush administration last week by vowing to fill a ?power vacuum? in Iraq. But Washington believes Iran is already fighting a proxy war with the Americans in Iraq.

The Institute for the Study of War last week released a report by Kimberly Kagan that explicitly uses the term ?proxy war? and claims that with the Sunni insurgency and Al-Qaeda in Iraq ?increasingly under control?, Iranian intervention is the ?next major problem the coalition must tackle?.

Bush noted that the number of attacks on US bases and troops by Iranian-supplied munitions had increased in recent months ? ?despite pledges by Iran to help stabilise the security situation in Iraq?.

It explains, in part, his lack of faith in diplomacy with the Iranians. But Debat believes the Pentagon?s plans for military action involve the use of so much force that they are unlikely to be used and would seriously stretch resources in Afghanistan and Iraq.

End


"Makes perfect sense to me, Bush is lameduck with foreign puppetmasters having great influence"
 

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
42,553
305
83
Victory Lane
Doesnt this dumb ass understand the mistake he made last time in letting Saddam know we were coming months ahead of time.

Iran will have plenty of time to prepare and plan counter attacks.

It honestly could be the end of the world if we go in there and try to take out the entire military.

Bush is just not listening.

MSNBC had a scathing report on Bush lies about staying in Iraq, calling it playing for Oct , Nov. or
something.

this is nuts
 

djv

Registered User
Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
13,817
17
0
It's not that a blitz would not work. But what do we do day 4. Not even Bush is this nuts. Europe will play a role here. For sure Germany & Turkey. Iran has to import there gas from other countries. I wonder how many Americans know this and how fragile Iran really is. Half there population is against there leaders.
 

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
42,553
305
83
Victory Lane
all I am saying is that Bush should not be the one to make this decision.

He has made enough war decisions.

Let the next President make it.

all Bush cares about is the lecture circuit
 

Blitz

Hopeful
Forum Member
Jan 6, 2002
7,543
46
48
58
North of Titletown AKA Boston
I would hope the Pentagon would have invasion and/or bombing plans for any of our potential enemies. Doesn't mean we will use them, but nice to have them just in case...
 

TonyTT

Registered User
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2002
353
1
0
71
Ohio
Exactly Blitz,
You can bet they've got contingency plans for many different senerios. Especially in that hot bed over there. I'd lay money that the big boys have a replacement in standby already for Mushariff, a plan for Cuba when Castro dies, as well as a plan for taking out that phony royal family of Saudi if they stopped "playingball" with the west.
As far as Iran I really can't see any attack on them myself in the near future. One thing's for sure ...they sure like to blow a lotta smoke, not only keeping those jokers guessing but keeping us second guessing also.
 
Bet on MyBookie
Top