fla job

hawkeye

Forum Member
Jun 29, 2000
denver, co-usa
still this morning we don't know about shanahan--kubiak says mikes not going--but most of denver thinks he will--i think he is ready for a change--fla ad jet is still parked at airport--people say mike will like fla job becuase only 50 hrs a week insteadof usual 100 a week here--hell--mike will always put in 100 hrs a week--what a foucsed and driven man--his big mistake was putting griese as his #1 qb--the kid does not have it!

Felonious Monk

Site Owner
Forum Member
Oct 26, 2001
Austin, TX
The Florida boards are now saying that Foley is going to New Orleans. Sounds like his next target is Saints DC Ron Zook, who was a Gator assistant from '91 -'95.

The next media release should simply read "UF sets press conference announcing X as their new head coach" in the title.

If Foley books a flight to Tibet, you'll know things have really gone south for UF.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Gatorbait

eat box
Forum Member
Sep 24, 2000
in the muff
Zook looks like he's the man! He should be a nice fit. Stoops would have been a dream come true, but we know dreams don't come true. Zook will need to bring in an offensive guru and once that's established, Zook should enjoy MANY GREAT YEARS in G-ville. I still remember being saddened when he left us for the NFL. Welcome back Zook, not many coaches start of with a National Title, but you will be an exception......as long as you can keep a few of the studs around:D

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
Gatorbait!!!!! You were SADDENED when he went to the NFL??????

That is the reason you won a national championship!!!!!! That enabled Spurrier to actually get a championship defense put together with a capable defensive coordinator!!!!!

If I am not mistaken, the last time Zook was at Florida, (correct me if I am wrong) he got 60+ points put up on him!!!!

This is a HUGE disappointment for the Florida program and it is sad to say but I think your team will be like North Carolina's basketball program, Oklahoma's football team of the 90's, and the rest of the great programs who fell from glory to mediocrity because of a poor coaching hire........

DNOMYAR_5791

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Freeze I agree with you too. This guy got demoted as a coach on Spurrier's staff. He did not impress me with the Saints as well. I don't know if it will exactly be doom and gloom; but Fat Phil and Nick Saban will definitely outcoach him in some tight games.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
i just saw an article that said Zook was not the defensive coordinator at the time of the Fla/Neb nat. championship game.....96 it was as i remember.....yep he had already been demoted to the special teams coach.......the guy they brought in to replace Zook was also bad and then Spurrier hired Stoops to take him to the promised land.......

2nd rate hire.....lets see......Stoops, Shanahan, or Zook.....lol......lets watch Zook follow the line of Bill Guthridge and have a year or two go okay with some remaining talent and then watch the program trend downward.......Bobby B. has to be happy over in Tal. that his remaining years will be without Coach Steve......

Felonious Monk

Site Owner
Forum Member
Oct 26, 2001
Austin, TX
What an honor to be able to post right after dr. freeze! :D Pay attention freeze, this relates to your school as well.

Now that it seems Florida's going to get their third or fourth (maybe more) choice for a football coach, what lies in their future? I think it may parallel the dark days at OU after Switzer resigned.

After Switzer left, they hired Gary Gibbs, who was an assistant coach under Switzer. Gibbs was a good coach, but he couldn't beat Texas, so he was fired (many say this was a HUGE mistake). Then they went to Schellenberger who was an alcoholic. Then Blake, who was a great recruiter but couldn't coach his way out of a paper sack.

However, this thread isn't about OU. It's about Florida. Will they be able to keep up with Miami and Florida State? Will they be able to recruit well? Will the other SEC schools start to unload on them?

I think it's possible. However, it should be fairly easy to recruit there; they have the best academics of any public school in the SEC and Gainesville is supposed to be similar to Austin. They will support their program financially.

With UF's OC Teevins heading to Stanford, this sucks even worse than hiring Zook, imo. The Gator fans are shitting themselves about now. Lose Spurrier and Teevins, and get Zook (who was demoted from Spurrier's DC to special teams coach when he was on the staff). UF will start that downward spiral...after the next year or two...can't see this guy recruiting to keep up.

Question is what is Grossman going to do now (Zook better start recruiting him as Friday is declaration day).

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
felonius......i agree with about everything you said but one thing.......gibbs was not fired cuz he couldn't beat Texas.....he was fired because he could not win national championships.......OU is not A&M or Tech......that is what they fire their coaches for.......can't beat Texas......yes OU struggled against UT under Gibbs but they also struggled against Col. and Nebraska........

Most Sooner fans will tell you the program was back when OU handed Nebraska a loss......not Texas.......anyways.....

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Gatorbait

eat box
Forum Member
Sep 24, 2000
in the muff
Saddened I was. Yes, he was demoted from Def. Coordinator to special teams, but the year he left, we had a special teams to die for. Can't recall exact numbers, but like 10 blocked punts, several for TD's, many blocked Fg's and extra points. If I recall, the Saints D was pretty darn good last year and for most of this year. This program will not miss a beat if he can bring in an offensive wizard. Any bets we win the SEC next year?....don't sing it....bring it

DNOMYAR_5791

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
Do any of you guys feel that the Gators "settled" for Zook considering that the top Coaching canidates of

Stoops: Decided to stay
Willingham: Notre Dame
Shanahan : Stays home

Food for thought

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Gatorbait

eat box
Forum Member
Sep 24, 2000
in the muff
Ya we settled for our 3rd choice. We'll settle for a National Championship as well.......just hired Marshals offensive coordinator-Ed Zaunbrecher......just what we needed. You guys either have forgotton or just don't know what a recruiter Zook is. Hell, he is responsible for recruiting half of the Gator's National Championship team-the likes of Fred Taylor and Reidel Anthony, ect!!!!!!!! With Ed running the offense, we will not miss a beat....and now all of you Gator haters won't have a coach to call a "bitch" or a crybaby:D

DNOMYAR_5791

Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
Rehoboth Beach, Delaware
I did not know he was an ace recruiter. However I just was not impressed with him when he was working. Maybe he has grown.
Good luck to the Gators, wait a minute they don't need it LOL