Immigration rally allowed on Mall despite shutdown

Skulnik

Truth Teller
Forum Member
Mar 30, 2007
22,273
1,444
113
Jefferson City, Missouri
Immigration rally allowed on Mall despite shutdown

Alan Gomez, USA TODAY 1:28 p.m. EDT October 8, 2013



After seeing vets struggle to access the WWII Memorial, some question this rally.





(Photo: Susan Walsh, AP)

Story Highlights
The National Park Service has closed all 401 national parks because of the shutdown
The service made an exception for an immigration rally on First Amendment grounds
Veterans had to bypass barricades to access the World War II Memorial last week


SHARE 10837 CONNECT 283 TWEET 54 COMMENTEMAILMORE

WASHINGTON ? A week after World War II veterans struggled to gain access to a memorial on the National Mall due to the government's partial shutdown, thousands of people pushing for a new immigration law have been cleared by the government to proceed with a concert and rally Tuesday on the Mall.

The march, dubbed the "Camino Americano", or "American Road," is hosted by groups including the Service Employees International Union and Casa de Maryland. The rally will feature speeches by House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., and other members of Congress. Another highlight will be a concert by the Mexican band Los Tigres del Norte.

The concert is the punctuation mark on a series of demonstrations that included more than 100 rallies around the country on Saturday to push Congress to adopt an immigration law that would allow the nation's 12 million undocumented immigrants the ability to apply for U.S. citizenship.

After seeing a group of veterans forced to move aside barriers to access the World War II Memorial last week, some are upset over what they see as the Obama administration giving preferential treatment to a group pushing for one his biggest legislative priorities.

"It's bad enough watching these marches when we watch illegal aliens breaking our laws. Now they're being given free range on these public parks while we've seen the greatest generation military vets being turned away from their sacred memorials," said Bob Dane, a spokesman for the Federation for American Immigration Reform, a group that opposes proposals in Congress to legalize the nation's undocumented immigrants. "It's offensive and it shows where their loyalties lie."

Susana Flores of Casa de Maryland, a community organization that assists immigrants and helped organize Tuesday's rally, said they were given clearance for the rally by the National Parks Service based on First Amendment grounds. National Parks Service spokesman Mike Litterst confirmed that the march will go on.

"Under the same First Amendment rights that are allowing Honor Flight veterans and their families to visit the veterans memorials on the National Mall, other groups will be granted access to the park for First Amendment activities in accordance with National Park Service established regulations," Litterst said in a statement.
 
Bet on MyBookie
Top