05.01.2007
Washington, DC
Earlier Tuesday, during a visit to U.S. Central Command headquarters in Tampa, Fla., Bush said, "We must stay on the offense. We must defeat the enemy overseas so we don't have to face them in our countries."
But Bush's veto drew rebuke from two retired Army generals who led troops in Iraq as they expressed outrage at the President's veto of the U.S. Troop Readiness, Veterans' Health, and Iraq Accountability Act.
"The President vetoed our troops and the American people. His stubborn commitment to a failed strategy in Iraq is incomprehensible. He committed our great military to a failed strategy in violation of basic principles of war. His failure to mobilize the nation to defeat world wide Islamic extremism is tragic. We deserve more from our commander-in-chief and his administration."
--Maj. Gen. John Batiste, USA, Ret.
"This administration and the previously Republican controlled legislature have been the most caustic agents against America's Armed Forces in memory. Less than a year ago, the Republicans imposed great hardship on the Army and Marine Corps by their failure to pass a necessary funding language. This time, the President of the United States is holding our Soldiers hostage to his ego. More than ever apparent, only the Army and the Marine Corps are at war - alone, without their President's support."
--Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton, USA, Ret.
Because of when the bill was sent to the White House, Bush was forced to make his veto on the fourth anniversary of his aircraft carrier speech ? in front of a "Mission Accomplished" banner ? in which he declared the end of major combat in Iraq. Since then, more than 3,200 U.S. troops have died in the war. Before Bush's May 2003 speech, 139 had died.
"Stay the course."
Washington, DC
Earlier Tuesday, during a visit to U.S. Central Command headquarters in Tampa, Fla., Bush said, "We must stay on the offense. We must defeat the enemy overseas so we don't have to face them in our countries."
But Bush's veto drew rebuke from two retired Army generals who led troops in Iraq as they expressed outrage at the President's veto of the U.S. Troop Readiness, Veterans' Health, and Iraq Accountability Act.
"The President vetoed our troops and the American people. His stubborn commitment to a failed strategy in Iraq is incomprehensible. He committed our great military to a failed strategy in violation of basic principles of war. His failure to mobilize the nation to defeat world wide Islamic extremism is tragic. We deserve more from our commander-in-chief and his administration."
--Maj. Gen. John Batiste, USA, Ret.
"This administration and the previously Republican controlled legislature have been the most caustic agents against America's Armed Forces in memory. Less than a year ago, the Republicans imposed great hardship on the Army and Marine Corps by their failure to pass a necessary funding language. This time, the President of the United States is holding our Soldiers hostage to his ego. More than ever apparent, only the Army and the Marine Corps are at war - alone, without their President's support."
--Maj. Gen. Paul Eaton, USA, Ret.
Because of when the bill was sent to the White House, Bush was forced to make his veto on the fourth anniversary of his aircraft carrier speech ? in front of a "Mission Accomplished" banner ? in which he declared the end of major combat in Iraq. Since then, more than 3,200 U.S. troops have died in the war. Before Bush's May 2003 speech, 139 had died.
"Stay the course."

