Kentucky Derby

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
apparently they now do the draw a full week before the race. this is probably about as good a draw as fierceness could have hoped for. i haven't done any work on this race, and probably won't for a few more days, but unless a couple of the horses outside of fierceness are serious early runners, he may get a clear run to the turn, which looks like it'll be key to his chances.

1714263406278.png

Reactions: boomer1 and FatBoy

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
Just started looking today. I'm liking #8 Just a Touch for Win/Place and some sort of combo with 17 and the best closers (2,4, and 7).
if i get a chance, i may start working on the card tomorrow. the good news is the weather is looking better. a few days ago, it looked like rain. but now...

1714514224317.png

and with rain still in the forecast for friday, i can just focus on saturday.

it's been warm there. not ideal for the horses coming in from NY.

anyway, i did see something that indicated the brad cox entries are interesting, so you may be on to something.

the key is will fierceness have to work too hard to get to (or near) the lead by the first turn? from what i've read, he's not a big fan of passing horses, so he needs that lead. there's also the chance he bounces, of course. pletcher doesn't exactly have a stellar record in the derby. but he sure gets 'em to run in florida.

Reactions: redsfann and FatBoy
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
Just started looking today. I'm liking #8 Just a Touch for Win/Place and some sort of combo with 17 and the best closers (2,4, and 7).
well, the one Cox horse you weren't using has scratched.

i was surprised they had the draw so early but only 2 AEs.

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
alright, here's what i've come up with...

if the 17 runs his race, he's WAY faster than the rest of this group. i hate the short price, but it's reasonable. he's starting outside of pretty much all the early speed, so he should get a fairly clean run to the turn and be able to get a decent trip around that first turn. obviously a concern if they go out in 45 & change, but nobody is better than JV at getting a horse on or near the lead to relax. most of my bets will use him on top.

i broke down the rest of the horses i'm going to use into 2 groups, A & B. i'll use the A group heaviest underneath, followed by the B group mostly filling out the bottom of the tri. singling the 17 on top will allow me to play some supers as well.

A - 8,11. I'll also include the 3 here if McPeek's horses are running well, but so far he's off to a poor start this week. The 8 has been very consistent in his 3 starts and should have no problem with the extra 2 furlongs (Tapit on the dam's side). Huge question on what they're going to do with the 11. They've been running him very wide, allegedly because he HATES kickback. in a 20-horse field, that could lead to some SERIOUS ground loss. His last 2 have been very fast, and the trainer is 2-for-2 in the US (both BC races). I'm going to try to watch how they handle him, but with NBC's coverage, that'll be difficult.

B - 2,4,6,7. 2, 4, & 7 are deep closers who are going to have a lot of work to do late in the race. One or two may find an opening and take advantage. The 6 should be closer to the pace, but Asmussen is a young jockey and who knows how he's going to handle this.

I'll definitely include some bets with the 8 & 11 on top (and maybe the 3), because I know if I only single the 17 on top, he'll find some trouble and finish out of the money.

Reactions: PrisonMike

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
alright, figured i'd post these now since i may not get a chance tomorrow. can't wait for those mint juleps!

race 5 - using 3,4,7,12 and on some deeper tickets i'll use 2,8,11 underneath

race 11 - using 1,6,7 on top of 5 & 9. beating the 11 is the value here.

looks like i need to include the 3 in that A group, after McPeek won the Oaks.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

lostinamerica

Forum Member
Oct 10, 2001
Between Green Bay and Iowa City
Washington Post
- - Neil Greenberg
Link: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2024/05/03/kentucky-derby-pick-win-2024-honor-marie/

(F)ocus on No. 7 Honor Marie, a promising 20-1 long shot on the morning line who has shown potential for success at Churchill Downs.

Trained by Whit Beckman — a former assistant to Todd Pletcher, Eoin Harty and Chad Brown — Honor Marie broke his maiden at Churchill Downs as a 2-year-old in September and then won the Grade II Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes two months later, seamlessly transitioning from the six-furlong sprint to the 1 1/16 mile route, the latter showcasing his late-running ability over two turns. A lackluster start as a 3-year-old (a fifth-place finish in the Grade II Risen Star Stakes) was forgotten after his close second in the Grade II Louisiana Derby.

More importantly, his speed figure in that final prep race (99) beat his career best as a 2-year-old, indicating another step forward is imminent. That this is his third start following a layoff — a favorite angle of potential improvement in handicapping circles — doesn’t hurt, either.

In addition to overall speed, Honor Marie finished the final three-eighths of a mile at the Louisiana Derby in 37.01 seconds, showing a closing speed that has been a hallmark of previous Kentucky Derby winners. Nine of the past 12 Kentucky Derby winners (and 19 of the past 26) finished the final three-eighths of a mile in their final prep race in less than 38 seconds. Many Kentucky Derby winners — 20 of the past 26 — covered the final eighth of a mile in their final prep race in 13 seconds or less. Honor Marie meets that standard as well.

Honor Marie’s pedigree is also encouraging. His sire, Honor Code, was a champion older dirt male who won the Grade I Metropolitan Handicap and Grade I Whitney Stakes. Honor Code’s progeny, including Honor A. P. and Max Player, have excelled in high-profile races such as the Grade I Santa Anita Derby and the Grade I Jockey Club Gold Cup. Honor Marie’s dam, Dame Marie, is a Smart Strike offspring who produced winners ranging in distance from 1 1/16 miles to 1⅛ miles. Smart Strike’s lineage also includes two-time horse of the year Curlin and 2007 Eclipse champion turf male English Channel, horses known for stamina and classy race wins.

If it rains Saturday — and the forecast is calling for scattered thunderstorms — it is worth noting that Honor Marie finished second at Churchill Downs over a sloppy track in October and his sire’s record over wet tracks is 84 for 505 this year (a 17 percent win rate). Jockey Ben Curtis is 7 for 37 (a 19 percent win rate) in 2024 over wet tracks, with a flat-bet profit of 42 cents per $2 wagered.

Finally, this horse is an overachiever, having won his maiden race at 14-1 and the Kentucky Jockey Club Stakes at 9-1. His second-place finish at the Louisiana Derby came at 8-1 odds. (Beckman has also returned a flat-bet profit of five cents per $2 wagered on 70 dirt races this year.)
Everything is here for Honor Marie to have a successful run for the roses, and I would be willing to place a win wager on him at a price of 4-1 or higher.

There are three other horses I would like to highlight: No. 4 Catching Freedom (8-1 on the morning line), No. 1 Dornoch (20-1) and No. 8 Just a Touch (10-1). They all feature in my trifecta and superfecta Derby strategy.

Seemed worth a wager on Honor Marie to me.

GL

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
last-minute adjustment to the 5th... with the 7 scratched, i'm using the 5 a little. i have him a little slower than the others i'm using, but he'll be on or near the lead in a race that doesn't have a ton of early speed. and he's 14-1.

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
the 5th was a complete bust. kinda glad i'm not betting any more until the 11th. maybe a little on the 9th.

only 3.5 hours 'til my first mint julep. woot woot.

Reactions: ripken8 and nedp

Hamster

Forum Member
Mar 4, 2000
Sacramento, CA, USA
Bayerische Limo GIF by Breitsamer Honig
Good luck today

Reactions: Smitty and nedp
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
Bayerische Limo GIF by Breitsamer Honig
Good luck today
i cheat a little, because i'll be making them for about a dozen people. yesterday, i made a simple syrup which has been sitting in the fridge with mint leaves. then to make the drink, it's a shot (or two) of woodford, the syrup and some shaved ice. easy peasy, and delicious.

ripken8

yankee hater
Forum Member
Jul 1, 2004
NY
the 5th was a complete bust. kinda glad i'm not betting any more until the 11th. maybe a little on the 9th.

only 3.5 hours 'til my first mint julep. woot woot.
I bet Fierceness. I realize that the favorite doesn’t win much in the Derby and don’t bet the horses 🐎 much, but this is who I’m hanging my hat on. Good Luck Smitty 😎

Reactions: boomer1