Congrats to

ezpickin

Forum Member
Nov 24, 2003
Chief backers. Shanahan was an idiot to take the ball first jn OT. NOONE does that in traditional OT, and in essence, that's what this was. KC got a ton of pressure on Purdy all game and Mahomes had time, he is a killer!

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
Top Poster Of Month
May 26, 2002
Canada
Chief backers. Shanahan was an idiot to take the ball first jn OT.

No he was not, his defense was gassed and he wanted them to have a break. Can't fault him for that, maybe it was the wrong decision but one could see both sides of the argument on the coin toss.

Bottom line it was NOT an idiot decision.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
meh. of all his terrible decisions, that is lower on the list. that moron cost them the game when he opened the 2nd half with passes on 8 of 9 plays.

for some stupid reason, i thought maybe, just MAYBE, shanahan had learned his lesson after blowing 4th quarter leads in 3 big games. and all for the exact same reason... he abandoned the run. turns out, the only lesson he learned... ABANDON THE RUN BEFORE YOU GET TO THE 4TH QUARTER!!

Reactions: Slumdog and tcon142

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
Top Poster Of Month
May 26, 2002
Canada
It was an IDIOTIC decision

No it wasn't.

It was a decision that meant pretty much nothing, one can easily see both sides of why to take the ball or not take the ball in that situation. It wasn't an idiotic decision at all.

You could blast him for some other coaching decisions during that game, but not that one.

lawtchan

Eat my pickle
Forum Member
Aug 23, 2002
Bartlett, TN
meh. of all his terrible decisions, that is lower on the list. that moron cost them the game when he opened the 2nd half with passes on 8 of 9 plays.

for some stupid reason, i thought maybe, just MAYBE, shanahan had learned his lesson after blowing 4th quarter leads in 3 big games. and all for the exact same reason... he abandoned the run. turns out, the only lesson he learned... ABANDON THE RUN BEFORE YOU GET TO THE 4TH QUARTER!!
Smitty,
I was thinking the same thing. Why abandon what got you to a 10-3 lead.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Faderbait

Registered
Forum Member
Dec 31, 2023
I think it was smart to take the ball 1st in overtime. If both teams match field goals or touchdownon on their possessions, it then goes to sudden death( I believe this to be the new rule) and 49ers would have the chance to put the game away.

Reactions: redsfann

JT 314

Forum Member
Jul 20, 2009
Why in the world would you take the ball first.... so Mahomes knows what he needs to do and give him 4 downs to do it.....
No No, never never!!!

Reactions: Four Corners

JT 314

Forum Member
Jul 20, 2009
Better question might be: Why are we playing the Super Bowl with different rules then we played with all year??

Reactions: Slumdog
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Slumdog

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 7, 2021
Yea. But keep the rules the same. In this case the result would have been the same. But weird they would make new rules for the sb. I agree with jt. If it was tied after the first ot Just have another 10 minute period.

yyz

Under .500
Forum Member
Mar 16, 2000
On the course!
Yea. But keep the rules the same. In this case the result would have been the same. But weird they would make new rules for the sb. I agree with jt. If it was tied after the first ot Just have another 10 minute period.

OT for the SB is just like a brand new game starting. If it's tied at the end of the "1st qtr", the game continues into the "2nd qtr".

NCAA has a better format than NFL.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

JT 314

Forum Member
Jul 20, 2009
Agree with YYZ

Its just a dumb format as is

Lost in America you said for starters.... what else?

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
Top Poster Of Month
May 26, 2002
Canada
But weird they would make new rules for the sb.

It wasn't a "new rule for the SuperBowl", it was for the entire playoffs.

And the "new rule" has been around for 2 years (adopted in 2022). So I don't even think you can call it "new".

ezpickin

Forum Member
Nov 24, 2003
I prefer the format that requires the coach to make simple strategic decisions that will allow the best team to win (things previously mentioned by others). Unfortunately, Shanahan did not follow that format.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
Top Poster Of Month
May 26, 2002
Canada
And the "new rule" has been around for 2 years (adopted in 2022). So I don't even think you can call it "new".

Now here is the real issue.......many San Fran players didn't even know the rule, and it has been around for TWO YEARS......

Bad coaching, and fucking moron athletes......typical NFL stuff right here. I mean how in the love of fuck can you get paid zillions of dollars and you don't even know the fucking rules of the game you are playing.

Read this and see what team was ready and what team was not.....

Super Bowl: Several 49ers players admitted they didn't know new rules when OT started