Shove It!

Chanman

:-?PipeSmokin'
Forum Member
BOSTON, Massachusetts (CNN) -- On the eve of the Democratic National Convention, the wife of Sen. John Kerry told a journalist to "Shove it."

Teresa Heinz Kerry accused the editorial page editor for the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review of misquoting her -- though she had in fact used a word that she denied using.

The Kerry campaign and other Democrats have said the paper is biased against the Kerry campaign and the Democratic Party.

It is owned by Richard Mellon Scaife, who has donated millions to conservative causes.

Kerry told reporters Monday that his wife "speaks her mind appropriately."

Senior Kerry adviser Tad Devine said Monday that Heinz Kerry "tells it like it is."

"She is such an enormous asset to our campaign," he said.

Republican National Committee Chairman Ed Gillespie said only, "She is obviously a spirited campaigner."

Heinz Kerry's comment came Sunday after she told a group of voters, "We need to turn back some of the creeping, un-Pennsylvanian and sometimes un-American traits that are coming into some of our politics."

As she was leaving, Colin McNickle, the Tribune-Review's editorial page editor, asked her what she had meant by, in his words, "un-American activity."

According to an exchange posted on the paper's Web site, she denied having said "activity" and also denied saying "un-American."

After stepping away and speaking briefly with Democratic organizers of the event, she returned and asked the reporter whether he worked for the Tribune-Review. He said he did.

"Understandable. You said something I didn't say, now shove it," she told him.

McNickle said Monday that he was "taken aback" by Heinz Kerry's comment.

"The purpose of my question was to get a little clarification on what she meant, to try to elicit an example," he told CNN from the floor of the Democratic convention.

When asked if there should be some kind of apology in the incident, McNickle said, "She's a public figure. I asked a question; she has the right to respond in any way she so desires."

The paper released a statement saying the journalist had done "what any good reporter does -- he asked questions. And the question he posed in this instance was legitimate."

The statement accused Heinz Kerry of "resorting to exactly the type of tactics she was criticizing."

After the incident Sunday, a spokesperson for Heinz Kerry told CNN affiliate WTAE, "This was sheer frustration, aimed at a right-wing rag that has consistently and purposely misrepresented the facts in reporting on Mrs. Kerry and her family."

Asked about the comment Monday, Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton said she believes that "a lot of Americans will say, 'Good for you -- you go, girl.' And certainly that's how I feel about it."

Devine said Heinz Kerry has been a great campaigner for her husband. "She's someone who connects with voters, who cares deeply about issues. And the fact that she speaks what's on her mind, I think it's enormously refreshing. It's something the American people want to hear more of."

Heinz Kerry will deliver an address at the convention Tuesday night, he said.

"I'm sure the nation wants to hear from her because she can lend so much valuable insight as to who John Kerry is, where he comes from and what he believes," Devine said.

Show and Tell
Teresa Heinz Kerry's 'Shove It' Outburst Is the Latest in String of Outspoken Behavior

By Jake Tapper and Chris Vlasto

B O S T O N, July 26, 2004 — The campaign of presumptive Democratic presidential nominee John Kerry has long been challenged by the outspokenness of the candidate's wife, billionaire philanthropist Teresa Heinz Kerry.

In the last few days alone, she has told a reporter from a conservative newspaper, the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, to "shove it," and taken a thinly veiled shot at President Bush's reading habits despite attempts by her husband's campaign to assume a more positive, less Bush-bashing tone for swing voters first tuning in to the campaign this week.

This predilection for speaking her mind, regardless of the consequences, has apparently been long held. In a 1976 newspaper interview, Heinz Kerry — then the wife of Sen. John Heinz, R-Pa., who died in a 1991 plane crash — had some rather unkind comments about Massachusetts Sen. Edward Kennedy, the Democratic Party, and the women's movement — all three of which have been key to her current husband's success.

In the Jan. 13, 1976, interview with the Boston Herald American (now the Boston Herald), Heinz Kerry said she didn't trust President Richard Nixon but added, "Ted Kennedy I don't trust either."

She went on to say that she knew "some couples who stay together only for politics. If Ted Kennedy holds on to that marriage just for the Catholic vote, as some people say he does, then I think he's a perfect bastard."

Kennedy's 22-year marriage to Joan Kennedy ended in 1981. He married Victoria Reggie in 1992.

Both Kennedy and Heinz Kerry are scheduled to speak Tuesday evening at the Democratic National Convention. The Kerry campaign insisted there is no animosity between Kennedy and Heinz Kerry.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Do as I say not what I do. Both sides will obviously be making promises and blowing smoke. How to seperate fact from fiction? Look at what they have done and not what they promise.

I like all the raves Ms Heinz gives her hubby on she says are impeccable attributes. Wish someone would ask her if that is why she had him sign pre-nup before applying for his 2nd source of income.
:142lmao:

on side note thought this was to the point article from Heritage foundation.

The Threat We Couldn't Ignore

Tuesday, July 27, 2004

By Jack Spencer and Olivia Albrecht

"We were right to go into Iraq," President Bush said recently. Is he right?

Before we answer, let's look back at what two politicians were saying about Saddam Hussein not that long ago.

1) "Saddam Hussein has been engaged in the development of weapons of mass destruction (search) technology, which is a threat to countries in the region, and he has made a mockery of the weapons inspection process."

2) "If Saddam rejects peace and we have to use force, our purpose is clear. We want to seriously diminish the threat posed by Iraq's weapons of mass destruction program."

Who were these warmongers? Vice President Cheney? President Bush?

Neither. The first quote is from Rep. Nancy Pelosi,D-Calif., now House minority leader. The second is from President Bill Clinton. Both were spoken in 1998, when politicians from both parties were insisting that Saddam Hussein was a threat to the United States.

It turns out, as the Sept. 11 committee report proves, that our pre-war intelligence about Iraq was inaccurate. Clearly, changes are needed in the intelligence community. But no one should assume this means we weren't justified in waging war on Saddam Hussein. Doing so would neglect both the lessons we should have learned from Sept. 11 and Saddam Hussein's threatening track record.

From his first day in power, Saddam's foreign policy consisted of two elements that directly conflicted with vital U.S. interests: He wanted to destroy Israel and dominate the Middle East. He pursued his foreign policy by developing and using weapons of mass destruction, threatening violence against other countries (including the United States), invading countries, attempting to assassinate foreign leaders (including the first President Bush), and by supporting and harboring terrorists.

After his defeat in the Gulf War (search), Saddam agreed to stop his threatening activities and let the United Nations monitor his compliance. Instead, he continued to threaten the United States and other nations with violence, went on a killing spree ? murdering thousands who stood against him in Iraq ? refused to cooperate with U.N. weapons inspectors, continued supporting and harboring terrorists, and routinely fired at U.S. and British planes enforcing U.N. no-fly zones.

When one considers Saddam's past actions and words in the context of lessons learned from the Sept. 11 attacks, it becomes clear that the status quo was not acceptable.

We learned on Sept. 11 that modern terrorists and terrorist states are not deterred by threats of retaliation. Al Qaeda knew the United States would strike back, yet acted anyway. Saddam behaved similarly. He remained defiant in spite of a decade of threats and isolation.

Moreover, he maintained a WMD program. While it is true that large quantities of these weapons haven't been found, it's also true that immense amounts of WMD remain unaccounted for and that there was a strong likelihood that Saddam was trying to develop the capacity to produce them through dual-use programs.

In addition, U.N. weapons inspectors recently told the Security Council that they have seen evidence, including satellite photos, that Iraq had transported dual-use technology out of Iraq in the days before and during the war.

Whether Iraq had anything to do with Sept. 11 or not, Saddam did have direct ties and ongoing contacts with terrorist groups. He was believed to shelter several terrorist groups, including the Mujahedin-e-Khalq (search) organization and several Palestinian-sponsored groups. The Sept. 11 commission acknowledges that there was contact between Saddam and Al Qaeda. Perhaps this didn't develop into a "collaborative operational relationship," as the Sept. 11 commission put it, but Saddam gave us plenty of grounds for assuming the worst.

A final lesson of Sept. 11 is that the future envisioned by extremist rogue states and organizations is incompatible with America's security. Our enemies will use unprovoked violence to pursue their goals. And considering that Saddam flagrantly violated each of the many Iraq-related U.N. Security Council resolutions, it's clear his vision of the future was incompatible with that of the rest of the world, too.

Saddam openly threatened the United States and its allies, demonstrated his willingness to kill on a mass scale and use WMD and, most importantly, saw the United States as his primary adversary.

He was given ample opportunities to comply with his obligations to the United Nations. Had he done so, he could be in Iraq today raping, pillaging and executing his oil contracts with his Russian and European buddies. But he isn't, and that makes America ?and the world ? a safer place.

Jack Spencer is a senior policy analyst for defense and national security at The Heritage Foundation, where Olivia Albrecht is an intern.

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
P.S. I sure like this board being moved down here.
Much easier to follow and should make both sides happier those that like these issues and those that don't.
We could extend it to war and world affairs.
Would like to say I have learned a lot from both sides and have done so it quite civil manner considering most political forums.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
DTB yes I understand there are forums where they get real nasty. I'ii just stay here have enough that want to shoot me here don't need another forum all chitty. Duck and Cover. Ah those famous words. O and by the way good for her telling that little midget off. I kind-a like that like the VP with F U. Shows there dam near human.

auspice

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2001
Ohio
djv

Forget those guys that have been harassing you. Ironlock, EAE and Homedog are indigent posters. They were living under a highway overpass in cardboard boxes. They sit around all day on the off-ramps with signs saying 'will post for food'. They're emotionally arrested and have body odor that makes getting a real job impossible. Posting at a public library is their only way of eating. It's the compassionate right's way of 'full employment'.

EAE

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 22, 2004
Parts unknown
auspice said:
djv

Forget those guys that have been harassing you. Ironlock, EAE and Homedog are indigent posters. They were living under a highway overpass in cardboard boxes. They sit around all day on the off-ramps with signs saying 'will post for food'. They're emotionally arrested and have body odor that makes getting a real job impossible. Posting at a public library is their only way of eating. It's the compassionate right's way of 'full employment'.

Sorry Auspice. If I was as you described me above, I would be a Democrat.

EAE

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

auspice

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2001
Ohio
EAE

No, I've checked. Those are all right wingers and former fox news commentators.

EAE

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 22, 2004
Parts unknown
Funny. I thought most of those living under the bridge were shiftless, lazy, bums who chose not to take entry level jobs but would rather keep their hands out asking us Republicans who work 50 hours a week for money for nothing so they could buy a bottle of vodka. My mistake.

EAE

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

auspice

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2001
Ohio
ctown

Shouldn't you be out checking on the next poll the armed services is conducting for who the servicement want to hear on AFR? Your azz was left hanging out on that one and I'd think you'd want to clear that one up before making more of a fool of yourself again.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocelot

EAE

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 22, 2004
Parts unknown
Hey Ctownguy:

Like I mentioned earlier, I am a longtime lurker and the convention last night forced me to post. I've always respected your views and generally think you are right on target.

By the way, Clevelander here. Highland Heights/Notre Dame Cathedral Latin School. Go Browns.

EAE

ctownguy

Life is Good
Forum Member
Jul 27, 2000
SoCal
Welcome to board EAE, it's great having another intelligent voice of reason here at MJ's. Very funny also, keep it up. :hail

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

auspice

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2001
Ohio
EAE

"Funny. I thought most of those living under the bridge were shiftless, lazy, bums who chose not to take entry level jobs but would rather keep their hands out asking us Republicans who work 50 hours a week for money for nothing so they could buy a bottle of vodka. My mistake."
---------
Thanks for the admission. It takes a man to admit they're a worthless POS and I appreciate your admission. Again, thanks.

EAE

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 22, 2004
Parts unknown
Once again Auspice, my mistake. I guess those bums are worthwhile human beings. Next time I walk one block down Euclid Avenue and get hit up by 4 different guys for "...cab fare so I can get home" I'll try to see the goodness in these Democrats. Seems like your idea of Utopia is more freeways in order to provide housing for the homeless.

Good democratic position your taking there. More federal grants. Well, at least I can drive over these ingrates on my way home after working a 10 hour day. I'll drive quietly though as I don't want to disturb their afternoon naps. Get a f***ing job!!!!! If I ever give one of these no good "worthwhile" Democrats a penny it will be a cold day in hell.

EAE

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

auspice

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2001
Ohio
EAE

You wrote "Well, at least I can drive over these ingrates on my way home....."
_________

And yet in another very recent post you wanted everyone to vote for GWB because he's such a 'christian'. I'm always amazed by the total hypocracy of guys like you. It's like talking to tree stump. You profess this christianity on one hand and yet hatred for the unfortunate on the other. Is that what Jesus called for.....hated of the unfortunate? I'm sure that's the backbone of the new testament huh? Oh well.....another right winger on his path to heaven. Onward christian soldier. LOL

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
eddie.jpg

wtf !!!!!!

Ed

kosar

Centrist
Forum Member
Nov 27, 1999
ft myers, fl
Auspice,

I'm no expert on the bible, but I believe there is a passage in there that reads, 'Ye shall run over, punch, maim, and stone the downtrodden'. I'm parphrasing, but it's something like that.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

auspice

Forum Member
Jul 19, 2001
Ohio
Kosar

You're right. That's the exact quote from chapter 2, verse 3 of book 'graballyoucan' in the republican bible/rocketlauncher instructions....king james version.

Last edited:

EAE

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 22, 2004
Parts unknown
Auspice and Kosar:

Its called sybolism. With all due , this is a typical left wing response spinning things your own way. The bums are under the bridge as I drive home. I obviously am not talking about running them over.

Hell if I did, I'd get sued. No doubt these juries would award them a couple of million and probably a couple of hundred thousand for lost wages. I'm a modest person but, who do you think is more worthwhile, me who works 50 hours a week or the bum under the bridge whose borrowing money for booze from every passerby.

I don't want to get in a fight with anyone here but come on. Be realistic and stop living in this ideal world where everyone is equal. As cold as this may sound, people are not equal.

EAE