wonder why the charger coach called that final timeout?

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
if it was to set their run defense(which the raiders were obviously going to do) it failed miserably....

that was straight from "The John Harbaugh School of Head Coaching Strategy <s> For </s> *BY* Dummies"

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

LA Burns

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 11, 2003
New Orleans
don?t see how that defends the timeout

the Raiders were about to let the clock run out - they had the ball at the 39 yard line and were in no hurry to do anything given the situation - then Staley calls the timeout and it changed everything

incredibly dumb move - cost his team a playoff spot

glad LV finished them

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

BASON

Forum Member
Mar 26, 2002
Rehoboth Beach
if it was to set their run defense(which the raiders were obviously going to do) it failed miserably....

that was straight from "The John Harbaugh School of Head Coaching Strategy <s> For </s> *BY* Dummies"

Exactly. Chargers and Ravens are not in the playoffs because of their head coaches moronic decisions throughout the year. Coaching matters!!

LA Burns

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 11, 2003
New Orleans
simply put, the timeout cost the chargers the playoffs

whole year of work down the drain due to one terrible decision

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bleedingpurple

Forum Member
Mar 23, 2008
Where it is real F ing COLD
wonder why the charger coach called that final timeout?

I guess I must be dumb? what bearing did the time out have on the play? He called a timeout with a couple seconds left on play clock. I?m assuming they really wanted to stop the run. Raiders could have just let the time run out but opted for FG. What am I missing? His time out had no bearing unless he called a different defense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bleedingpurple

Forum Member
Mar 23, 2008
don?t see how that defends the timeout

the Raiders were about to let the clock run out - they had the ball at the 39 yard line and were in no hurry to do anything given the situation - then Staley calls the timeout and it changed everything

incredibly dumb move - cost his team a playoff spot

glad LV finished them

The Raiders had to run one more play if he calls a timeout or not

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
Top Poster Of Month
May 26, 2002
Canada
I guess I must be dumb? what bearing did the time out have on the play? He called a timeout with a couple seconds left on play clock. I?m assuming they really wanted to stop the run. Raiders could have just let the time run out but opted for FG. What am I missing? His time out had no bearing unless he called a different defense

The Raiders had to run one more play if he calls a timeout or not

Yep, I have no idea what LA Burns is talking about, yes the time-out might not have been smart but that didn't decide the game. La Burns calling it "the worst timeout ever taken in the history of the nfl" is idiotic. Again, not the smartest decision to use the time-out, but as bleed (and myself) said the Raiders could have still let the clock run out, the time-out meant nothing because the Raiders could have let the clock run out instead of calling a time-out with two seconds left..

The dumbest decision was this decision.........

https://www.madjacksports.com/forum...his-Possible&p=4515484&viewfull=1#post4515484

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

LA Burns

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 11, 2003
New Orleans
the raiders were going to run a play with 35 seconds left on clock and then let the clock run out

raiders hc admitted the timeout changed the team?s mindset

the timeout isn?t called raiders weren?t calling one either - one play game ends

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

LA Burns

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 11, 2003
New Orleans
doing anything to stop the clock for any reason at that juncture is indefensible

you want the clock to run out, fast - and you know lv wasn?t going to do anything re play calling to put themselves at risk

incredibly stupid timeout - cost his team the playoffs

bleedingpurple

Forum Member
Mar 23, 2008
the raiders were going to run a play with 35 seconds left on clock and then let the clock run out

raiders hc admitted the timeout changed the team?s mindset

the timeout isn?t called raiders weren?t calling one either - one play game ends

I guess that doesn't make sense to me but I guess it doesn't have to. I don't know why it would change his mindset, they had to run a play regardless if the Chargers called the time out or not. Had the Chargers not called time out they could have ran the exact same play and gained the exact same yardage and let the clock run out just the same or kicked it. the timeout should have had no bearing on the game one way or another.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kickserv

Wrong Forum Mod
Forum Member
Top Poster Of Month
May 26, 2002
Canada
I guess that doesn't make sense to me but I guess it doesn't have to. I don't know why it would change his mindset, they had to run a play regardless if the Chargers called the time out or not. Had the Chargers not called time out they could have ran the exact same play and gained the exact same yardage and let the clock run out just the same or kicked it. the timeout should have had no bearing on the game one way or another.

yep...you are correct bleed.

The moronic coaching decision was from the Raiders side of things, not from the Chargers sideline. Kicking the field goal was beyond stupid, they could have lost their playoff spot by deciding to kick that FG. The time-out was not the smartest thing to do, but it wasn't anywhere close to how dumb it was for the Raiders to kick the FG. They could have let the time run out at the end of the game just as easily as they would have done 40 seconds earlier.

the addict

BI-WINNING
Forum Member
Oct 9, 2009
PA proud
yep...you are correct bleed.

The moronic coaching decision was from the Raiders side of things, not from the Chargers sideline. Kicking the field goal was beyond stupid, they could have lost their playoff spot by deciding to kick that FG. The time-out was not the smartest thing to do, but it wasn't anywhere close to how dumb it was for the Raiders to kick the FG. They could have let the time run out at the end of the game just as easily as they would have done 40 seconds earlier.
There is one reason I think the FG makes sense.

Win the game and you play a young Bengals team round 1...

Tie game and you play the chiefs who own you....

I'd prefer the Bengals as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk